Missing camera alert

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thanos Papadopoulos
Missing camera alert
on Oct 1, 2014 at 10:13:10 am

Hi everybody,
I am a bit new to final cut pro 10.1.3.
So last day I imported some media in a keyword collection. These media are avc intra (which mean I choose to import them and copy them to an external drive. By this way it makes one mov file with audio and video).
Although fcp crashed for some reason and the import didn't complete. So I have a message which says missing camera. If I go to import> re-import it is disabled. So I click import and I import the same files (which is a bit boring because I have to find the same sub-sub-subfolder and click import). After that the clips in the browser have a small camera icon on the left side of the thumbnail of these clips. I can't relink or reimport media again. So what I did is to delete these clips and do it again.
I guess there must be a shortcut!
Is there anybody who can suggest something faster?

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Missing camera alert
on Oct 1, 2014 at 4:26:16 pm

If FCPX doesn't complete the import than the clips in the browser will be linked directly to the camera files. However, if you restart FCPX (like as in the event of a crash), the camera you were pulling from will be unmounted.

So first, just go into your import window and navigate to where your camera files are. Once FCPX sees them again, it'll mount the camera and you can exit the import window. Then go up to the File menu and choose Re-import from Camera/Archive. FCPX will look at all the clips in your event that are linked to the camera and restart the transcode.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
on Oct 2, 2014 at 9:08:58 am

Hi Andy thanks for your help.
It bothers me a bit that I have to go again to the import folder. The import folder is there it should have the link.
Anyway I went to the import folder and indeed it mounted the camera but the re-import is not active!

just a note: it's not a camera, it's a folder with all the files that the camera created. I just drag and drop all the camera's folder into a hard disk.

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
on Oct 2, 2014 at 2:12:07 pm

Ok I found the solution. In apple's support I read that you can choose one or more clips and click re-import from the file menu. But this never worked to me. Perhaps it was for a previews version of fcp x.
What worked for me was: I selected the event and then I went to file menu> import> re-import.

I hope this note to be useful to others with the same problem.

Cheers.

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Scott Foster
on May 2, 2015 at 3:36:35 pm

Thank you Thank you THANK YOU!!!!

Return to posts index

Adam Scott
on Aug 10, 2016 at 5:08:05 am

Just ran into this issue. I wanted to note that I had the missing camera issue with a file I filmed on an iPhone. FCPx didn't allow me to re-import the file. I got an error saying the camera was not present - even though it was attached and the original file was still in place.

My only solution was importing the file and manually replacing all instances of the original...copying and pasting effects, movement, etc for each clip.

Return to posts index

Patrick McIntyre
on Oct 13, 2016 at 11:58:09 am

I didn't think this of myself but got it from a post by Tom Wolsky ( thank you Tom even though I do not know you ):

1. close all of your FCP libraries.
2. create a new empty library.
3. Re-import the 'missing' files. in my case they were imported from an iPhone. Make sure they are completely imported and transcoded by watching the background task window
4. Eject the iPhone/camera
5. Re-open the problem libraries and delete the missing-camera/problem clips
6. Drag the clips from the newly created library to the old library. They should get replaced in context without re-creating and re-editing each project

You may want to back up you library just in case before you try this.
No promises. I hope this works for you. I was very frustrated and not looking forward to re-creating a whole project. This worked like a charm for me.

Return to posts index

Jeff Feaz
on May 4, 2017 at 9:58:51 pm

Andy, this worked for me and also helped me understand FCPX better. Thank you very much!

Return to posts index

Jeff Feaz
on May 6, 2017 at 1:21:59 am

I noticed that even after opening the import dialogue and seeing all the missing media clips come back to life, the camera import still doesn't complete, resulting in the inability to export.

I solved this by going to File>Import>Reimport from Camera/Archive, but just as with the first import, there's no progress indicator or any way to know when the import is done. Nor is there any warning when closing the app that this will interrupt an import that won't resume automatically.

Is anyone aware of any way to actually track the progress of the camera import and get confirmation that it's done?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on May 6, 2017 at 4:40:23 am

[Jeff Feaz] "Is anyone aware of any way to actually track the progress of the camera import and get confirmation that it's done?
"

You should be able to track the progress in the Background Tasks window (CMD+9).

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Jeff Feaz
on May 8, 2017 at 7:04:42 pm

Andy, many thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]