FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can not open FCPx 10.0.9 projects in 10.1.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Linthicum
Can not open FCPx 10.0.9 projects in 10.1.3
on Sep 30, 2014 at 10:34:12 pm

Just updated to FCPX and thought it was updating my project but opting FCPX 10.1.3 there are no projects, i can not open my old projects or update them.

When trying to update old projects the folders are greyed out.

Anyone know a way around this??

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Can not open FCPx 10.0.9 projects in 10.1.3
on Oct 1, 2014 at 12:14:32 am

Does this help:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5958?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Mark Linthicum
on Oct 1, 2014 at 12:17:09 am

Thanks but no,

I selected update all projects, and now have none.

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 1, 2014 at 1:37:11 am

Are you saying you have no new Libraries or you have new Libraries but you don't see any projects within them?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Mark Linthicum
on Oct 1, 2014 at 2:22:05 am

Nothing came into the new FCP, I have one empty project and that is it, i had 20 old projects. i think it was the fact that when updating FCP, it asked for a drive that has crashed and was no longer available, so the update stopped part way, now I have no projects. Very frustrating!

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 1, 2014 at 1:37:59 am

Don't panic, your original projects and media are still there. During the Update from the pre-FCP X 10.1 structure to the Post 10.1 structure with Libraries, X had to convert Events into Events within Libraries. Part of that meant that the person wanting to upgrade had to do some mediate management to create the new structures if they wanted things separated like they had them before the 10.1 changes. If you took NO action, and just OK'd the update, then X defaulted to putting all your prior Projects into a single new default Event called something like Original Media. (Can't remember the exact name, it's been so long!) It's likely buried in the list of your existing Events.

If you remember the name of one of your projects, just do a search for that and you'll find your prior events. Then you need to decide on your new Libraries, and move the Events and Projects into those new organization levels. .

Do a search and you'll find lots written on that topic back in December of last year.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mark Linthicum
on Oct 1, 2014 at 6:16:54 am

All the new libraries were in the trash! i guess apple really has taken focus off this product!

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 1, 2014 at 1:34:56 pm

[Mark Linthicum] "i guess apple really has taken focus off this product!"

No, I'd say you took focus off of what you were doing/clicking. Because that will only have happened if you told it to after updating.

German language FCP X training: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fcpxtraining

Return to posts index

Mark Linthicum
on Oct 1, 2014 at 4:39:28 pm
Last Edited By Mark Linthicum on Oct 1, 2014 at 4:41:00 pm

Robin S. Kurz

Oh, i must have clicked the "trash all converted files and leave the unconverted ones as unusable" option.

Yes I screwed up!

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 1, 2014 at 3:16:21 pm

Mark,

Honestly, you're is the ONLY post I've ever seen in the past 3.5 years of being extremely active on the FCP X boards and in the community that says anything about X projects somehow magically showing up in the trash. - so with the million users out there worldwide, I suspect we'd have heard about this if it was a thing the software does under normal use.

Just sayin'

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mark Linthicum
on Oct 1, 2014 at 3:25:52 pm

Because you haven't heard of it doesn't happen? How did it happen? Did I unconsciously put the files in the trash myself?

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 1, 2014 at 3:27:06 pm

Read my last post.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Oct 1, 2014 at 6:41:42 pm

Mark, Nobody knows and I never claimed to.

I just consider "bugs" to be things that happen to everyone because they're flaws in the underlying code.

I consider everything else to ba "anomalies" - some of which are, yes, caused by program not getting everything right - but a WHOLE lot more of them are caused by people who don't understand how the program works and therefore are screwing things up via their actions.

I have NO CLUE which category this singe instance falls in.

I just know there's a real difference between those categories.

Simple as that.

Return to posts index

Mark Linthicum
on Oct 1, 2014 at 7:08:14 pm

"I have NO CLUE which category this singe instance falls in."

and either does Robin S. Kurz! so his or her comments were way out of line.

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 2, 2014 at 7:33:42 am

[Mark Linthicum] "his or her comments were way out of line."

:-D
Sure.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 3, 2014 at 4:44:15 am

I have a vague memory that FC gives you the option to save or delete the old libraries when updating to the new ones. So maybe your hard drive crashing left the files in the trash with no new ones at the ready. It's probably rare that a media drive goes south in the middle of this update the libraries dance.

At first I thought apple had really messed up the first time I was asked to update the libraries. Wow that seemed radical. But now we've gone through this several times and for many it's been flawless transitions and very fast.

Recently FC crashed one me and an event lost all it's imported media. It was still saved in the finder but that was the first time FC ever lost files and I use this program a lot. Most of the time when it crashes every is still where I left off.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Mark Linthicum
on Oct 3, 2014 at 5:19:33 am

" It's probably rare that a media drive goes south in the middle of this update the libraries dance."

My drive did not crash in the middle of updating the libraries, it crashed weeks before and is no longer available, one of the projects FCP was updating had media on that drive, There were projects from 4 drives, one was no longer available the rest were, FCPX asked for the drive but it was not available so I hit cancel leaving all my old libraries un-updatable because FCP updated then but put the updated ones in the trash.

Thanks Mark

Thanks, Mark

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 4, 2014 at 1:56:49 am

Maybe as a response to your telling FC to abort its mission? I agree there should have been a less destructive response or at least a warning dialog box that canceling would mean ...

A better choice would be to update them as needed one at a time.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 4, 2014 at 10:31:57 am

And/or read things such as this first: http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2013/12/upgrade-your-events-and-project-to-fc...

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 4, 2014 at 1:56:59 pm

I can't imagine having every project in the same library. I use sparse bundles (for a different reason) but they prevented this from occurring.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 4, 2014 at 2:07:38 pm

[Craig Alan] "I can't imagine having every project in the same library."

Who says you need to? That being the whole beauty of the new model: you don't have to nor is there any reason to.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 4, 2014 at 2:48:31 pm

I guess I misread your link. I thought it said that by default when FC updates to a new library structure it does it to a single library per drive.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 4, 2014 at 4:53:44 pm

Yes, that's what the initial updating does. Which is why he suggests doing it differently. But even if you don't, no one's keeping you from breaking them apart afterwards. And coming from 10.0.9 or earlier, the sight of everything open at once and all in the same place shouldn't actually surprise you much. :-D

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 4, 2014 at 7:08:57 pm

I always used sparse bundles and even from the get go you could have a library on the root level of any drive.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Oct 5, 2014 at 3:30:33 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Oct 5, 2014 at 3:40:12 pm

Well, we're not talking the old sparse bundle trick, just regular events and projects.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]