FCPX Effects irritation

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Granzier
FCPX Effects irritation
on Sep 30, 2014 at 8:39:34 am
Last Edited By Will Granzier on Sep 30, 2014 at 8:49:41 am

Hi All

Ok Here is a small irritation. Perhaps i am over looking something simple here.

I have 2 layers of video - Bottom layer - XDCAM - MOV native
Top layer a logo in PNG format -

All looks awesome. So now we try add an effect to the top layer - i.e. the logo like lets say a slide in from the left using a transition. WHY OH WHY THE heck does it affect the bottom clip as well and make that slide as well....
When the effect is only applied to the top line..... This is really irritating the living daylights out of me

Am I over looking something simple here

Thnx for the input

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: FCPX Effects irritation
on Sep 30, 2014 at 10:41:39 am

Is this one of the DEFAULT transitions or a CUSTOM one? Because a) that obviously shouldn't happen and b) isn't in fact happening here with your example "Slide" transition. It CAN happen with (some) titles though, due to the way they are (sometimes, not always) constructed in Motion. Meaning any effect you apply to a title will carry through to the layers below it in an "adjustment layer" type fashion.

I'm guessing it's a custom transition? In which case I would suspect it was simply put together incorrectly in Motion. A screenshot may also bring more clarity, if it's in fact a default transition and the info WHICH it in fact is to be able to reproduce (or not).

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fcpxtraining

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 30, 2014 at 10:44:20 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Sep 30, 2014 at 10:44:57 am

Whereby, as described above, you have to clearly distinguish between EFFECT and TRANSITION. You write effect, but then describe the use of a transition.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fcpxtraining

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Sep 30, 2014 at 2:31:00 pm

I've gotten annoyed at this also. If it's a push off, then I animate Position keyframes to accomplish the same thing.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 30, 2014 at 2:20:31 pm

The slide transition has 2 modes. Slide Push and Slide In/Out. Use slide in/out for graphics and it won't affect the background. I use that for bullet points. Use Slide Push and it will also affect the background. VERY useful if you have a stack of bullet points and you want them to all push off at the same time. Just add the effect to the top one and presto.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 30, 2014 at 2:54:53 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Sep 30, 2014 at 2:57:21 pm

Actually it has 4 and I admit I hadn't used the others. And yes, I'm seeing the effect described with all but the Slide In (with just a single connected clip).

This has to do with the way that transitions are constructed (in Motion). They do whatever transition you design from an "A" layer to a "B" layer. So if you're using one of the ones that needs an "A" to animate what's described (Push and Swap), but it's not provided with an actual "A" layer, rather just coming from nothing, then FCP uses the next possible layer which is whatever is below it.

But then, in the specific case of the SLIDE, if you're in fact coming from nowhere, then using both PUSH or SWAP doesn't make any sense anyway. Everything else you can easily do with the SLIDE IN/OUT.

[Brett Sherman] "I've gotten annoyed at this also. If it's a push off, then I animate Position keyframes to accomplish the same thing."

Why would you? Simply add a gap clip as the "B" clip, set it to OUT and you're good.

So even though it may seem so, it's not a bug. It's actually pretty logical i.e. simply a different approach. Something I'd say we should be used to with X by now. ;)

It's also the same thing that makes "adjustments layers" possible btw, so I sure as heck don't hope they change it (without a replacement)! :)

German language FCP X training: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fcpxtraining

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 30, 2014 at 3:04:00 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "[Brett Sherman] "I've gotten annoyed at this also. If it's a push off, then I animate Position keyframes to accomplish the same thing."

Why would you? Simply add a gap clip as the "B" clip, set it to OUT and you're good."

No need to do that. Just add the slide out to the connected clip/graphic. No need for a gap clip.

And animating position keyframes don't have any motion blur. The slide and push have motion blur. Very cool. Plus easing which is good for text sliding in. Slide/push has to be my second most used transition after dissolve.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 30, 2014 at 3:21:23 pm

[Bret Williams] "No need for a gap clip."

Oddly, I only wrote that because it was in fact showing the same effect on the OUT also. But now it's not... hmmm... must have gotten something confused. Seems you're right. My bad... and that much better. :)

Good point about the motion blur also, yes.

German language FCP X training: https://vimeo.com/ondemand/fcpxtraining

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]