FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panning?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ty Ford
Panning?
on Sep 29, 2014 at 1:14:27 am

Hi,

FCP 7 has pan pots. So far I can't find them in FCP X. Toss me a bone, where they are they?

Regards,

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
Re: Panning?
on Sep 29, 2014 at 1:34:19 am

You're wanting to pan the audio? You have a Pan mode under the Audio tab in the inspector after a clip is selected in the timeline, is that what you're looking for?

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 29, 2014 at 1:37:11 am
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Sep 29, 2014 at 1:38:04 am

Some of this is a bit out of date but basically:

http://www.peachpit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=1879718&seqNum=3

ps- welcome to FCPX, Ty!

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 29, 2014 at 3:23:10 am

They've recently added back the audio level hot keys. Perhaps they'll add back the panning hot keys. Which were if I remember correctly ctrl , (pan left) ctrl . (pan center) or ctrl / (pan right). They were certainly a lot more efficient than panning a pretend pot with a mouse.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 29, 2014 at 3:58:20 am

In general, I find the inspector lacking in ergonomics.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 29, 2014 at 4:37:53 am

I think that applies to pretty much all inspectors. But its ergonomics could be improved. And could've been improved in legacy as well. This idea of one window fits all doesn't really fly. Too much mousing to inspector window, then correct tab, then then scroll down, then twirl open section crap. Motion suffers from the same "X" overhaul. Let me pull out my tabs as separate panels a la adobe so what I need is there with one click. I'd like my audio panel open side by side with my video panel and my title panel. I'd like tabbed sequences while we're at it. I'd like multiple browser windows too, so one can be viewing a particular keyword collection in list view (can we PLEASE add a thumbnail to list view already?) and have another keyword collection open right next to it in thumbnail view. Or just the idea of multiple keyword collections open in their own browser window(s). I could go on. I'm sure we all could. But we just spent a year trying to be excited about changes to libraries. Essentially a year of nothing but bug fixes and library changes. Here's hoping some new update will have something interesting with the OS update. Or will it be an excuse to just update the look of the app to match the new OS?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Oct 4, 2014 at 2:13:34 am

I wouldn't mind a clearer indication when the timeline is active. When I edit a clip into the timeline I just assume the timeline is now active even though I've made the mistake a zillion times.

And custom layouts with keyboard shortcuts. That would help. Lots of mousing to get things ready for a given operation (color correction comes to mind, or editing audio).

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Ty Ford
on Oct 4, 2014 at 12:39:05 pm

Craig,

Your comment about lack of ergonomics (and the other comments made here) echo my own.

Apple's implementation of audio features in FCP 7 was never that great to begin with. I think Apple is guilty of very sequestered thinking in how the FCP X development team was created. Narrow choosing is not a bad idea, necessarily, but picking the people is very important.

FCP X was a "baby and bathwater" GUI swap out. An interesting approach; throw out most of the well known controls and wait to hear who scream the loudest for what features before adding them back in. It seems like they also scraped off the entire FCP 7 team and tossed the project into the iMovie crew.

Again, not necessarily a bad thing, (yes, some will howl) but why Apple hasn't used some of the Logic Express team on FCP X (or listen to what they have to say), keeps FCP X's controls shrouded is mysterious. Maybe it was just money and the roll out schedule. Or, is it the famous "Generational Shift" I keep hearing about? The younger team members just don't have the operational underpinning to appreciate how the work has been done for years.

One thing's for sure; wanking on about it in a Cow/Apple Forum isn't likely to change anything. I reached out to Apple years ago about the audio implementation in FCP 5 or 6. My inquiries were met with tepid response.

Regards (and "Hey" to Noah),

Ty Ford
Cow Audio Forum Leader

Want better production audio?: Ty Ford's Audio Bootcamp Field Guide
Ty Ford Blog: Ty Ford's Blog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]