FORUMS: list search recent posts

16:9 footage shown as 4:3 in fcp x

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Thanos Papadopoulos
16:9 footage shown as 4:3 in fcp x
on Sep 25, 2014 at 4:02:02 pm

Hi, if anyone can help please do!
I have some files DVC - PAL 720x575 with 16:9 frame. When I import the files in fcp 10.01.3 I see them as 4:3.
The same goes with quicktime player. Although vlc shows them right, 16:9.

Is there something I can do?

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: 16:9 footage shown as 4:3 in fcp x
on Sep 25, 2014 at 4:58:21 pm

I'd say the 16:9 flag is missing. Try opening one in the QT7 Player and setting it manually in the properties window (⌘J), saving and reimporting.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 25, 2014 at 6:57:37 pm

You can set the anamorphic flag within FCPX from the inspector.

Open the inspector, edit the metadata view and search for "anamorphic override" and check the box.

Back in the inspector , select widescreen from the anamorphic override drop down.

Should look something like this:

overrride.png

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 25, 2014 at 7:00:19 pm

Ironically I was actually going to suggest that exact same at first, but I couldn't find it here in my inspector off the bat. :-D Must not have had the right material selected or maybe I'm just going blind.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 25, 2014 at 7:20:46 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Ironically I was actually going to suggest that exact same at first, but I couldn't find it here in my inspector off the bat. :-D Must not have had the right material selected or maybe I'm just going blind."

:) You have to turn it on in the metadata view, and the footage selected has to support it (like SD instead of HD).

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 25, 2014 at 7:27:38 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "You have to turn it on in the metadata view"

I know. Only I looked for "Aspect ratio" which obviously didn't give me what I wanted (and thought I would get). Had forgotten about THE FORCE (pun intended... kinda)

[Jeremy Garchow] "and the footage selected has to support it (like SD instead of HD)."

That was my second mistake. Didn't have any handy. Ah well. At least my alternative suggestion wasn't WRONG or anything. ;)

Return to posts index

Thanos Papadopoulos
on Oct 1, 2014 at 4:17:35 pm

Thanks a lot Jeremy, I did your suggestion and it worked fine.
Thanks also everybody for your support. I should add to make it easier to the next one with the same prob that if he choose one or more clips, go to the inspector,in the tab "info" and in the metadata view choose settings instead of basic, extended etc. he will see the anamorphic override.
There he can choose widescreen.
At least that's how it worked for me.

Fix it in Pre.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Sep 25, 2014 at 7:12:53 pm

In QuickTime 7 you can change the properties from 720 x 576 to 1024 x 576 which is SD anamorphic (in PAL anyway).

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL923

it's a feature not available in later QuickTime.

Probably you can also do it in Mpeg Stream clip or maybe even VLC if you export from VLC after opening.

I always used to use QuickTime 7

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]