FORUMS: list search recent posts

Custom resolution & output?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Phillips
Custom resolution & output?
on Sep 24, 2014 at 4:26:15 pm

Hi Cows

For video projection reasons I'm trying to edit PhotoJPEG clips in FCPX 10.1.3. Is there any way to share them in the native codec? All I can figure out is saving in ProRes and re-compressing to PhotoJPEG.

Thanks for any advice. I'm used to doing this in Motion 4, but thought FCPX would be be quicker. And it is!

John

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Custom resolution & output?
on Sep 24, 2014 at 5:20:39 pm

Possibly via Compressor. That said as a 'native format' PhotoJPEG is less than ideal and ProRes a far better format. Very lossy, rough on color fidelity, not very compatible with playback devices, etc.

Unless you have some sort of playback device that requires it you're much better off getting out of PhotoJPEG as quickly as possible as a codec.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

John Phillips
on Sep 24, 2014 at 5:24:54 pm

Thanks for getting back so quickly. PhotoJPEG is one of the codecs of choice for live video projection where high fidelity is not always that critical. My worry is about doing my editing then recompressing to ProRes then back to something else. BTW, I make all my original clips in ProRes then compress for performance.

Does your reply mean that no matter what comes into FCPX it must be transcoded into something else on output?

Thanks again,

John

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 24, 2014 at 6:23:46 pm

No, you can output to pretty much anything you want. If the default presets don't offer what you want, then you'll have to make the needed preset yourself in Compressor for use in FCP. But outputting to ProRes first and then recoding (especially to such a comparatively inferior codec) is absolutely non-problematic.

Return to posts index

John Phillips
on Sep 24, 2014 at 6:28:50 pm

Thanks Robin, that's what I'll do. Appreciate your time!

John

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 24, 2014 at 7:49:02 pm

Yeah I'd look into a bit of infrastruture improvement- PhotoJPEG as a codec is really low efficiency. H.264/AVCHD/MP4, etc offer a lot greater bang for the buck at similarly lowish bitrates.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

John Phillips
on Sep 25, 2014 at 10:42:54 am

Not to take up your time, but in the world of live video performance, PhotoJPEG is still a codec of choice. It is quick to decode, and each frame is available so time scrubbing etc is possible. Some programs can use HAP codec which is great and the new version of Isadora (one of my favorites) now can playback up to 8 HD clips in H264 and ProRes, but not with realtime effects.

Thanks again for your advice - much appreciated.

John

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
on Sep 25, 2014 at 12:20:04 pm

Hi, just make a setting in compressor, then in FCPX make a new output and choose compressor and select you photojpeg setting.

I did this with a DVX system for the D3 playback for a 5760x960 output. Worked like a charm.

Helge

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]