FORUMS: list search recent posts

10.1.3 bug?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
10.1.3 bug?
on Sep 22, 2014 at 7:55:20 pm

Clip with audio and video on timeline. Added a key-framed gaussian blur effect and then a logo on top. Client decides that the nat sound on the video 'plate' is not needed. I break apart video and audio to delete the audio. But as as soon as I do the break apart, the blur effect is deleted from the video. I can't believe this is intended behavior. Happens with as many effects as I have tested. Anyone else?

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: 10.1.3 bug?
on Sep 22, 2014 at 8:33:23 pm

Geez it shouldn't be normal behavior. But as I have never found any need to break apart audio I guess I've never run into this. Why not just turn off the audio in the inspector? Simpler, cleaner, and reversible.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 22, 2014 at 8:41:36 pm

[Bret Williams] "Why not just turn off the audio in the inspector? Simpler, cleaner, and reversible."

That is a good tip and thanks for that, but to the original point, I don't think this should happen in the first place.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Sep 22, 2014 at 9:24:47 pm

Either turn off audio in the inspector or use "detach audio". Break apart clip items does clear effects. It's also pretty drastic and I've never found a need for using it on an individual clip. It is more suited to breaking apart compound clips or storylines.

To shut off audio just use the inspector. As Bret indicated, it leaves you the option of turning it back on easily if the producer changes mind again. LOL - that'll never happen!

anickt

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:45:38 am
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:46:46 am

"Break items apart" has always deleted effects.

You wouldn't have had this problem with tracks ;-)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 23, 2014 at 2:11:32 am

[Oliver Peters] "You wouldn't have had this problem with tracks ;-)"

And how is this?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 23, 2014 at 11:57:48 am

Because you would have simply deleted that clip from the audio track.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 23, 2014 at 11:59:50 am
Last Edited By Ronny Courtens on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:05:44 pm

In a track-based system the video clip and its corresponding audio are always broken apart. You can put them in a nest to group them, but when you apply video or audio effects to the nest and then you break the nest apart again you also lose all the effects. So not much difference here.

In FCP X it's quite easy: you disable or remove video effects on a clip in the Video tab, and you disable or remove audio effects in the audio tab. No need to ever break apart a clip.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

James Ewart
Re: 10.1.3 bug? a bit off topic
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:08:30 pm

It always kind of confused me with Nests that it did not name it as such in the browser. Not that I suppose anybody is that much interested.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: 10.1.3 bug? a bit off topic
on Sep 23, 2014 at 2:59:50 pm

In legacy? A nested composition was an actual sequence. It's only referred to as nested when the sequence resided within another sequence.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:10:35 pm
Last Edited By Oliver Peters on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:13:57 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "In a track-based system the video clip and its corresponding audio are always broken apart. You can put them in a nest .....So not much difference here."

Depends on the system. Not the case in Avid, as you can only collapse (better than nest, BTW) video tracks. What you describe is largely an FCP "legacy" methodology. And FWIW - I've always felt that nesting in the old FCP was pure evil and should be avoided at all costs. ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 23, 2014 at 12:33:54 pm

And FWIW - I've always felt that nesting in the old FCP was pure evil and should be avoided at all costs. ;-)

Oliver, we certainly agree on that one (-:

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 23, 2014 at 3:02:15 pm

I used them all the time since version 1.3. What was so problematic or confusing?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Sep 23, 2014 at 4:45:19 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Sep 23, 2014 at 5:01:45 pm

Fort me the fact that when you selected "nest sequence" it was not called nested sequence in the browser seemed to throw me a bit. I don't know why I just never quite felt comfortable with it in the way I do with Compound Clips but you have just given me the best explanation I ever got.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 23, 2014 at 8:38:12 pm

[Bret Williams] "What was so problematic or confusing?"

Nothing confusing. Just sometimes they cause a lot of issues.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 23, 2014 at 5:31:31 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "You can put them in a nest to group them, but when you apply video or audio effects to the nest and then you break the nest apart again you also lose all the effects."

Exactly. Technically *every* clip is a compound clip. The effect is applied to its "container". Delete the container, you delete the effects. As long as you know that, you can simply use the Paste Attributes to reapply them after the detach... if you insist on doing it that way. But then I, too, would opt for the disabling of the audio in the channel configuration (or anything else) over detaching either way.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Sep 25, 2014 at 12:13:18 pm

The effect disappearing makes perfect sense to me and is exactly what I'd expect. The effect was applied to the compound clip. When you break the clip apart, you essentially delete the compound clip and replace it with the content it contains. They're two completey different things and I wouldn't expect the effect assigned to one to transfer to the other.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]