FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X 10.1.3 not recognizing Canon C300 MXF footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Edwards
FCP X 10.1.3 not recognizing Canon C300 MXF footage
on Sep 22, 2014 at 7:09:02 am

Have some footage from the field on a drive sent to me. All folder paths seem fine. Installed latest Canon software/driver for FCPX ( Canon XF Plugin for Final Cut Pro X 2.2 [released 6/26/14]) FCP is showing an error and when trying to import. Here is the path and error...

Any help and direct links would be appreciated.

I am not looking for any 3rd party MXF converters either. Been there done that before in the past and has caused more headaches. Need to keep metadata/timecode info and everything in order.

Thanks everyone!

~Matt

FCP 7 user moving to FCP X
MacBook Pro Retina - 10.9.3

Return to posts index

Hamdani Milas
Re: FCP X 10.1.3 not recognizing Canon C300 MXF footage
on Sep 22, 2014 at 1:50:03 pm

Matt, the correct file structure/path on a Canon C300 CF card should be a Contents folder first which contains the Clips001 folder which contains the captured footage.

Seems this Contents folder has been omitted when the clips were copied from the card to the drive. This is likely to be the reason the Canon XF plugin is not recognising the file structure.

The Contents folder on a Canon CF Cards should always be copied intact to a hard drive or copied as a disk image.

Try creating a Contents Folder on the hard drive then bring the rest of the file structure into that and access the Contents folder using the Canon plugin for file transfer. You can still have it within an identifying enclosing folder but the Contents folder must precede the Clips001 folder as I understand it.

Independent producer, director, cinematographer, writer, editor
Milas Film Productions, Hong Kong
http://www.milasfilm.com
Mac Pro 3,1 16GB RAM, ATI Radeon 5770, 480GB Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD system drive, OSX ML and Mavericks, Caldigit VR 4TB e-SATA RAID, FCP 7.0.3, CS6 Production Premium Suite, FCPX 10.1.3

Return to posts index

Hamdani Milas
on Sep 22, 2014 at 1:52:12 pm

That Contents folder might need to be all caps, not sure if it's case sensitive.

Mac Pro 3,1 16GB RAM, ATI Radeon 5770, 480GB Mercury Extreme Pro 6G SSD system drive, OSX ML and Mavericks, Caldigit VR 4TB e-SATA RAID, FCP 7.0.3, CS6 Production Premium Suite, FCPX 10.1.3

Return to posts index

Matt Edwards
on Sep 23, 2014 at 6:55:12 pm

Yes! After yesterday's shoot, I made sure I was the one copying files from the card to the drive and I dragged the CONTENTS folder and all worked out. I've since placed the former folders into new CONTENTS folders and all went smooth.

I came back here to answer my own problem and, Hamdani, it confirms your solution! So kudos to you for the diagnosis.

Cheers!

FCP 7 user moving to FCP X
MacBook Pro Retina - 10.9.3

Return to posts index

Hamdani Milas
on Sep 24, 2014 at 2:37:45 pm

Glad to hear it all worked out. :-)

Return to posts index

chris king
on Dec 9, 2014 at 8:02:27 am

Generally, C300 MXF files will ngest quite happily through plugin in Final Cut Pro. While, thing can be a bit more difficult if your cards have been copied incorrectly to the hard drive with broken folder structure. Without that folder structure you are effectively locked out of accessing your footage. If you got some corrupt C300 MXF clips to FCP, transcoding C300 MXF files to FCP X natively compatible format is a feasible workaround.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]