FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem importing MTS files in FCP X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arthur Levivier
Problem importing MTS files in FCP X
on Sep 20, 2014 at 10:08:05 am

Hi there,

I am having an issue with those MTS files and FCPX.
(I am using Macbook pro os X and FCP X 10.1.3)

I am sorry if this subject has been deal with before. I have been looking for answers but every time I find only bits of answer not connected together and I get lost...

This is what I normally do once I get my files as MTS from my camera :

1.I copy them on my hard drive
(Opening "AVCHD", "Private" folders ext., I copy all MTS files in a new folder of my hard drive)
2.I rename them with Automator to avoid to have many "001.mts" later and be able to reconnect them easy with FCP X if problem.
3.I convert them in Prores to have no problem with FCP X
(I tried to import directly to FCP X as MTS files (optimised media) but I find it much slower to work with.
4. I import in FCP X

My issues :
- Long process, takes lot of times and too many steps...
- All MTS files longer than 2.12 Go are divided in many files and I lose some audio in between every files...

So my question is :
- Is there a way to make all this easier and have all my videos in one piece and not cut every 2.12go...

- Also, when I put the SD card from my camera to the laptop, on FCP X I have the import window that opens and I could import clip in one piece straight away but I don't know where it goes, I can't rename it as I want and again, the optimised media is slower to work with than when I convert in Prores and then import...

- Basicly, I want to go from my SD card to 1.Good organisation in my hard rive and 2. Prores imported in FCP X and all of that without cutting my clips...

Thank you very much for your time.

Have a good day.

Cheers.

Arthur.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Problem importing MTS files in FCP X
on Sep 20, 2014 at 12:39:08 pm

Avchd is a real pain.

You can't do anything about the file size as that is a function of the camera media format. However, I think fcpx does a good job of importing the files if you leave them in the default avchd structure and simply name the encompassing folder something unique. So, when you transfer the SD Card to a hard drive, name the folder something meaningful, and then import that folder's contents to FCPX. That meaningful name gets added as the "reel" in FCPX so you can always find your way back.

You won't have matching files in the Finder, but it's very easy to reimport using fcpx. You can set a custom media destination before import by clicking on the Library, opening the inspector, and click "modify settings". Then in the "media" drop down choose a destination. This will store both the rewrapped h264 and any generated media you choose to make for that library.

If you must tear apart the file structure and rename the original camera streams, the way you are currently employing is correct.

I've tested both ways, and I think using FCPX to handle the import of the original card structure yields the most realiable results.

Return to posts index

Mark Morache
on Sep 21, 2014 at 12:17:17 am

Once you've ingested your material, it's very easy to rename right inside FCPX. Select the clips you would like to rename, then in the inspector, under the info tab, select Apply Custom Name.

This will change the name of the clips, but not the names of the original media. I wish I could do that.

The other thing I frequently do, is to import the AVCHD media in FCP, saving the media to an external folder and not within the library. Once all the media is in, then I delete it from the event (it will stay in the external folder), rename the files, and drag them back into FCPX. It's an extra step, but it's fairly easy.

This way I can keep all of my media sorted in folders just the way I like.

Maybe in the future I'll get used to just letting FCPX do all of my sorting and media management for me, but for now, I like to have it organized a certain way.

--> Mark

---------
Don't live your life in a secondary storyline.

Mark Morache
FCPX/FCP7/Xpri/Avid
Evening Magazine,Seattle, WA
http://fcpx.wordpress.com

Return to posts index

Arthur Levivier
on Sep 29, 2014 at 2:16:36 am

Hi Mark, thanks a lot for your help.

One thing you say that Is a bit confusing to me :

"The other thing I frequently do, is to import the AVCHD media in FCP, saving the media to an external folder and not within the library. Once all the media is in, then I delete it from the event (it will stay in the external folder), rename the files, and drag them back into FCPX. It's an extra step, but it's fairly easy."

So that means you do those steps :
1.Import AVCHD from SD card to FCPx
2. Copy AVCHD folder to external hard drive (not with FCP)
3. Delete the clips from FCP.
4. Rename the files (this I don't understand, which files do you rename and where ?)
5. Put files back to FCP

I am sorry but I don't understand the process ?

Could you explain me again please... ??

Sorry.

Thanks a lot.
Arthur.

Return to posts index

Arthur Levivier
on Sep 29, 2014 at 2:11:04 am

Thanks very much Jeremy this helps.

Also, as I said I normally transcode my media in Prores before importing but as you say FCP x import quite well AVCHD straight away so I am wondering if I should really trandscode them as it is taking LOT of space on my hard drive ?

(You have to know the project I am working on is a BIG one. I have thousands of clips, hundreds hours of interviews...)

Also, so far all my media are transcoded in Prores but they also have proxy media. I have 400go of proxy media on my hard drive. What will happen if I delete those and keep only the original (prores) media ?

Thanks for your help and sorry for the late reply but I just saw the message now.

Cheers.
Arthur.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 29, 2014 at 7:08:36 pm

[Arthur Levivier] "Also, as I said I normally transcode my media in Prores before importing but as you say FCP x import quite well AVCHD straight away so I am wondering if I should really trandscode them as it is taking LOT of space on my hard drive ?"

When you import to AVCHD, FCPX rewraps the original material to h264 .mov. This is what FCPX refers to as "Original Media". If you checked the button that says "Optimize media" this creates ProRes movies.

What you can do, and it will take a lot of drive space at first, is to setup your Library to store media outside of the Library (if you have already imported, change the settings, and then consolidate the media outside of the library).

After you are done importing and transcoding, quit fcpx.

In the media destination folder, you'll have two folders, one marked optimized, one marked original. Then delete the original media folder from the import. Relaunch and FCPX will simply link to the optimized media. In FCPX, if you right click on a file and choose "reveal in Finder" notice that X will point you to a broken alias file. To fix this, you can choose to "relink event files" and then point to the Optimized media folder. FCPX will then rewrite the pointer files to the optimized media folder.

You must test this workflow. Test, test, and retest.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Sep 24, 2014 at 12:24:28 am

In general you want the AVCHD bundle to stay together and not extract .mts files. See this excellent instructional video on codecs. He also discusses the AVCHD situation:

In Mac OS, AVCHD .mts files will not normally display in Finder (or by pressing the Quick Look space bar). However this free utility will show the first frame of an .mts file as a thumbnail. I tested it and it works OK.

http://shedworx.com/hdquicklook

In general my group tries to avoid AVCHD, but where this isn't possible we convert them using ClipWrap: http://www.divergentmedia.com/clipwrap This isn't really necessary (see below) but if you have ingrained habits of organizing and selecting clips at the file level, this makes it easier.

Instead of renaming camera files, the best approach might be to import everything into FCP X and use the tagging/logging features to organize the material. I agree renaming files is a long established practice but it is very limited and cumbersome. FCP X has tremendous metadata management tools, that is the future.

However FCP X has recently integrated Finder tags, and here's a video on that:

Return to posts index

Arthur Levivier
on Sep 29, 2014 at 2:18:21 am

Thanks Joe, this help a lot too.
Cheers.
Arthur.

Return to posts index

Yogashih Yogashih
on Jun 19, 2015 at 7:19:06 am