FORUMS: list search recent posts

Limit to Importing Clips in FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tatjana Hamilton
Limit to Importing Clips in FCPX
on Sep 16, 2014 at 6:53:27 am

Is there a limit to how many clips I can import into a project??

I have tried importing some more clips into my project (currently I have 177) but they won't import!

I'm starting to get a little impatient with FCPX!!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Limit to Importing Clips in FCPX
on Sep 16, 2014 at 1:51:13 pm

I'm not sure there's a limit, but it's going to be well above 177 clips.

What format is your footage and how are you going about importing the footage?

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 16, 2014 at 2:02:20 pm

Hello Tatjana.

I am currently working in a Library that has 3080 clips and 74 timelines.

So I think you should be looking at why your extra clips won't import for you, it certainly is no limitation of FCP X (-:

How are you importing these clips? What format are they? Are you getting an error message?

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 16, 2014 at 5:54:22 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "I am currently working in a Library that has 3080 clips and 74 timelines. "

Damn! Why?

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Sep 16, 2014 at 8:05:58 pm

Because we can ! (sorry couldn't resist)

My latest project had 6871 clips in 42 events for a total of 30 edited shows... (a lot of the clips were audio only as we recorded multitrack for iso mikes and M+S for ambiance.) Still had about 1300 av clips and all those were grouped later in multicam clips.

Great thing was that I did not have to rename one single clip to get things done.

So going back to the OP, you should be able to import more than 177...

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCP7/X
Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 17, 2014 at 3:56:24 pm

This project was done in 2012 using FCP X 10.0.6 during the Olympic Games in London. During the Games we constantly ingested footage from 3 camera teams and edited 74 programs for several tv stations. The production resided on a dedicated Promise Thunderbolt RAID and I had not touched it since 2012, so it had not been updated yet. Until last week, when we were asked to re-use the footage for a special show.

So I connected the RAID to a new MacPro and launched 10.1.3. The entire 10.0.6 production was updated in a few minutes and a new Library was created without any single hiccup. We did lose some custom titles and animations we had created on site. But we had saved these on the RAID as well, so dragging the templates into the Motion Templates folder of the MacPro restored everything in a breeze. Quite a pleasant experience.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Sep 17, 2014 at 6:00:35 pm

Not to hijack the OPs message but to complement the above:

ours was quite different from Ronny's : typical 5d multicam in h264 with multitrack .wav audio. Most audio synced effortlessly but a few had to be tweaked manually.

What I missed most was Motion roundtripping as I ended up with over 130 Motion projects. I tried to stay within FCPX for effects as much as I could, unsing Core Melt SliceX and TrackX but had to go via Mocha Pro and Motion for a few complex ones.

Colour Correction done in FCPX and AAF exports done via X2Pro Audio to ProTools.

The lot was done in FCPX 10.1.1, on Xsan with ageing MacPro towers (and that slowed us down)

Now shooting the next 20 episodes that will be edited using a New MacPro ;-)

Patrice

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 17, 2014 at 6:49:15 pm

In consideration for my new sig.

In X, yes, you're editing. But you're also growing a database the value of which expands over time.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]