FORUMS: list search recent posts

2 events in the same library - need to move proxy files from one event to another

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
2 events in the same library - need to move proxy files from one event to another
on Sep 14, 2014 at 3:28:16 pm

I'm having a hard with FCP recognizing the proxy files i've moved into the proxy folder in the other event.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: 2 events in the same library - need to move proxy files from one event to another
on Sep 14, 2014 at 7:25:36 pm

If you're doing this in the finder it's likely not going to work. The library has to keep track of things and if you muck about moving them in the finder it likely won't see them. Possibly could corrupt a project. You'll need to recreate them or move them by moving the clips. But if you're talking about two events in the same library, then why would you be needing to move proxy files? It should have taken care of this when you moved clips or events.

Can you get into more exact details?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: 2 events in the same library - need to move proxy files from one event to another
on Sep 15, 2014 at 1:33:02 am

Also, playback has to be set to Proxy mode

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Sep 28, 2014 at 6:42:50 pm

Sorry, I actually mispoke. I was trying to copy the proxy files to A DIFFERENT library.

The biggest issue is that there are a TON of proxies, so recreating isn't feasible it would have taken 8-10 hours. I've moved past this stage of the project, but I'd love to continue the conversation to understand this better.

Is there a menu function for copying a clip to another library? (that takes the proxy along?)

I understand that FCPX tracks all of this, but I would think you could just mimic the folder strucutre, name, TC, size and it would just link up? Apparently not.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 29, 2014 at 6:56:39 pm

[Jason Brown] "Is there a menu function for copying a clip to another library? (that takes the proxy along?)"

Yes, use the FCPX browser to copy (drag/drop) the clips from one library to another and you get a dialog like this:

mover.png

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 16, 2014 at 12:28:14 am

Jason, do you understand that typically Proxy files are generated inside X as an option, and that they're a more heavily compressed reflection of existing Imported or Original media - and that one key to their use in X is that they're PRECISELY a mirror of the original files that they were transcoded from down to the frame level?

Unless they're an EXACT copy of the Original Media or the FCP X generated ProRes transcodes the software can't shift the pointers from one pool of content to the other for Proxy editing.

Alex Gollner did some work on taking alternate encoded proxys and doing finder level substitution to allow X to function with alternate Proxy encodings, and he showed, it's possible. But it's also VERY tetchy and one aspect that makes it work is that the alt proxies MUST be in precisely the right location where the X database expects them - AND they must be precise reflections of the parent clips, or the entire database structure can break down.

Imagine the software looking to work with a range selection, but the newly finder-replaced clip is a few frames short - so the database tries to locate an End of File point that's GONE. That's just not going to fly.

The software works the way it works. If you learn THAT, you're typically good to go. If you try to work it by dragging stuff around in the finder, at best you'll add extra work, and at worst, you'll break the database and have to fight X every step of the way.

FWIW.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]