FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with cropped areas and Stencil Luma

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Brook
Problems with cropped areas and Stencil Luma
on Sep 12, 2014 at 12:14:14 pm

I've shot a shadow screen performance and I want to cut out the shadows and place them on a new background.

To do this I've tried having the background on the primary layer and the shadow footage on the connected layer with a Stencil Luma blend mode on the connected layer (the shadow footage).

The Stencil Luma blend mode does this very nicely to an extent, but I also want to crop the edges of my frame because I can see the sides of the projector screen in shot. I also wanted to alter the size of the shadows and move them around in the frame. The problem with both of these is that any cropped areas are also effected by the blend mode so I get a black frame around everything.

Is there any way to stop masks and cropped edges being effected by the blend mode?

Return to posts index

John Fishback
Re: Problems with cropped areas and Stencil Luma
on Sep 12, 2014 at 9:20:17 pm

Perhaps you can do your cropping and sizing, then put that clip inside a Compound Clip and apply your blend to that. Not at my computer so can't try that out.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.9.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCP-X 10.1.3, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

David Brook
Re: Problems with cropped areas and Stencil Luma
on Sep 15, 2014 at 9:03:02 am

Thanks, I've tried that but it still doesn't work. I'm doing something similar as a workaround - doing the cropping and sizing and a chroma key, adding a white background, in a compound clip and then blending that - but it's a bit of a faff and with having two different keying effects (chroma key & blend mode) it's losing a bit of the shadow definition. So if anyone has any other ideas I'd be grateful.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]