FORUMS: list search recent posts

Copying FCPX effects to external hard drive?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey Gallimore
Copying FCPX effects to external hard drive?
on Sep 10, 2014 at 11:55:11 pm

Hello,

Tried finding a similar question on the board to avoid repeating, but didn't have any luck. If this has been asked before, my apologies - if you could point me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

Since purchasing FCPX almost a year ago, I have bought many downloadable FCPX effects from several different sites (pixel film studios, FCPeffects, etc.) My concern is that if, one day for whatever reason, my computer goes kaput, I will be unable to access those additional effects without having to repurchase them.

Now, this makes sense in my brain, but I wanted to ask before attempting it, but: wouldn't it be possible to just make copies of those effects files and save them on an external hard drive for a rainy day? Obviously I'm not concerned with the effects that come standard with FCPX, just the few I've purchased extraneously.

Lastly, if/when my computer does die, am I ever able to re-install FCPX for free (or a nominal fee), through my Apple account somehow? It seems like this would be the case, but again I've had trouble finding info on this.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Copying FCPX effects to external hard drive?
on Sep 11, 2014 at 1:08:58 am

Most of the sites where you have an acct like motionvfx will let you redownload purchases. But it's easy enough to copy them over. They're in your user>movies folder.

You can always redownload anything from the Apple store. That's what the purchases tab is all about.

In fact, I barely have to back up anything these days. Most apps are from the App Store, and Adobe is in the cloud. Email, passwords, settings are all cloud.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 11, 2014 at 4:45:42 am

Make a clone of your system drive. If your computer or system drive dies you won't miss a beat. Try CCC.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 11, 2014 at 7:50:07 am

[Joey Gallimore] "if, one day for whatever reason, my computer goes kaput"

Erm... so you don't have any TimeMachine or any other type of backup of ALL of your data?! If not, then I'd say that's a far more urgent matter to worry about than just a few templates.

[Joey Gallimore] "wouldn't it be possible to just make copies of those effects files"

More precisely, they're all in your user's Movies folder in the "Motion Templates" folder. Back that up and it's all there. But yes, I'm pretty sure that just about every vendor will allow you to reload anything you have proof of purchase of.

[Joey Gallimore] "Lastly, if/when my computer does die..."

And you don't even have so much as a Time Machine backup... well...

But try checking the "Purchases" tab in the Mac App Store app. Any and everything you ever purchased in the MAS (with whatever ID you're currently logged in with) will be listed there. Then simply try deleting something from that list and see why happens to the button behind it...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]