FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX - Gamma Shift in Viewer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam White
FCPX - Gamma Shift in Viewer
on Sep 9, 2014 at 9:41:16 am

Has anyone else found that FCPX interprets and displays the gamma of any given video clip differently to how the same clip appears in any other application (including QuickTime X)?

It seems as though, as soon as you import a clip into FCPX it will automatically crunch the blacks to give a more defined image. When you look at these same clips again in QuickTime X, FCP7, Adobe, Avid - any other piece of software on the planet you care to mention - the gamma hasn't been adjusted. There are occasions where this doesn't really matter - if you're exporting an XML for a colourist they will reference the original files anyway, so it hasn't (so far) caused a problem for me there.

But what happens if you need to export something out of FCPX as a ProRes_4444 for work to be done in another app of some kind, where XML isn't an option (maybe you want to retain some speed effects and the like, and they don't translate in an XML). This happened to me on a job recently, and it was quite inconveniant and added needless time when it could and should have been a 2second process.

Is there a way around this issue? I have found it to happen on several different machines - and it's happened very recently with the newest OSX and latest versions of FCPX running. Anyone have any advice?

Return to posts index

David Battistella
Re: FCPX - Gamma Shift in Viewer
on Sep 9, 2014 at 12:45:11 pm

The viewer only displays one field. So perhaps it is this.

I have noticed gamma shifts when using codecs other than Prores 4444, the rest seem to be a gamma crapshoot.

battistella

http://www.bottegabattistella.com/blog/

Return to posts index

Adam White
Re: FCPX - Gamma Shift in Viewer
on Sep 10, 2014 at 7:28:58 pm

I have been using ProRes_4444. The footage on various occasions was shot super-flat for grading purposes.

The gamma shift is so bad that the footage almost looks graded when compared with how the super-flat shots should actually appear.

A pretty ridiculous problem for any NLE to have. This needs fixing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]