FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corrupt Project Takes All Media Offline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Villeneuve
Corrupt Project Takes All Media Offline?
on Sep 3, 2014 at 5:16:50 am

Hi everyone. I'm not looking for the solution to a problem. But rather... I'm looking for the explanation to a crappy problem I worked through tonight that cost me hours of my life and made me want to smash my face into the keyboard.

Just to set up the drama:
I'm running FCPX 10.13 on a shiny new MacProTube. It has been pretty solid. I was working in a Library with 4 different events. One event is simply my Raw Footage. Another of the events contains of all my Projects (timelines).

Well, FCPX crashed and I don't even remember what I was doing at the time. What I do know is that I wasn't working on the Project(timeline) that will come into question.

When I restarted the program, ALL my media was offline. So I tried to relink it and the program crashed. I tried a bunch of times. So, I figured I must have some corrupt pieces of media - I ended up relinking the media 5 pieces at a time until I had relinked everything BUT the 11 individual pieces of seemingly corrupt media.

Then I realized that these pieces of media were all being used in a single project. So, on a whim I deleted that project and suddenly was able to relink what I thought were corrupt pieces of media. The project was the problem the entire time!

So there it is in a nutshell. A project in a different event was corrupted during a crash and caused all of my media to go offline. I was not able to relink the media from that project until I deleted the Project(timeline). The media and project were in different events!

Does anyone know why or how that could happen? I wanted to launch my computer out into space during the relinking process because it was so frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

James
Toronto, Canada

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Corrupt Project Takes All Media Offline?
on Sep 3, 2014 at 4:45:11 pm

Did you try restoring a backup? Sounds like your Library became corrupted which has the potential to affect anything within it.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

James Villeneuve
on Sep 3, 2014 at 5:20:15 pm

Thanks for your response!

I tried restoring from back up and all the media was still offline... even though the back up I chose was saved before my problem happened.

I guess I just can't understand how a corrupted project could affect my media. I understand if my media is corrupted how it would affect my project, event or library, but this is crazy. I'm looking to understand how/why the problem would happen this way. How does FCPX's inner workings result in a single 20 second project file corruption taking all the media offline. It was very clearly related to that project as once I removed it, everything relinked perfectly. the library is now perfectly fine. If I put the project back in... it shits the bed again.

Just... weird.

Anyhow, I also wanted to share this experience in case someone else has a similar problem. I always learn stuff on this website from other people's problems and solutions.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 3, 2014 at 5:58:38 pm

Maybe this thinking will help you better understand the possibilities.

X operates by importing assets into a database. From there, everything that happens is metadata applied to calls on that database. Usually, everything you do flows from the Event (the import landing) downstream to the projects.

BUT

There is also constant database reporting flowing upstream back from the events to the project level of the metadata expressions.

For example, every time you create a compound clip, it gets reported upstream to the Event Library in the form of the copy of the compound clip that shows up in your event browser.

For me, it's helpful to think about it as launching X is launching a database with live links among it's elements. When you launch a new library - you integrate the new library elements into the overall database. This is partially why it's not trivial to dump a library once you've opened it. It's got "reporting relationships" that are active.

In that context, it makes absolute sense why if X has a damaged project somewhere inside a Library - and the database can't make the connections it's expecting BECAUSE even tho they are defined in the overall database of operations you've asked to have available - they're NOT available - then it could cause problems at the Library level.

Does that help?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 6, 2014 at 2:14:16 pm

Bill, if there is a compound clip saved in an event of one library and used in another library event as a child, what happens if u make changes to the parent or child if the other library is offline? How could the database interact with media that is off line?

Not a fan of this rippling changes from one project to another. Copy pasting yes; auto changes between projects, no.

Off line meaning on an unmounted drive.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Sep 7, 2014 at 9:37:53 am

Craig,

Libraries are autonomous and don't communicate outside themselves. If you want the same media in two libraries, you have to duplicate it into each. And events are contained in libraries, so again, you can't have a situation where closing a Library effects anything outside of it.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 7, 2014 at 2:55:20 pm

That's great. So the only parent child relationship where the changes ripple to other uses of the same compound are within the same library. Since I use a new library for each new project not really much to be concerned about.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 7, 2014 at 11:55:53 am

[Craig Alan] "if there is a compound clip saved in an event of one library and used in another library event as a child, what happens if u make changes to the parent or child if the other library is offline?"

Clips can only be MOVED or COPIED from library to library. Therefore there is no possible connection between the two instances (assuming it was copied). If the media within goes offline it will obviously go offline in the library also, should you not have CONSOLIDATED after the move/copy, which creates new instances of the footage in the second library.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 7, 2014 at 3:32:23 pm

Thanks, Robin. I have made it a practice to consolidate each library's assets in their own set of folders outside the library: P2 card copies, Media, Render, FC Backups within a sparse bundle. I know with the latest changes to FC that sparse bundles are a bit redundant; but it is the only way I know to isolate and protect student projects and all related media from all other students. It also makes it easy for me to copy, move, bring home projects, delete projects without loosing track of where all the assets are. Just wanted to make sure that if I were to do this with a project containing compounds and multi cams that it wouldn't be searching for a parent or siblings off-line if that project had these clips copied from another library.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 7, 2014 at 6:51:33 pm

[Craig Alan] "I know with the latest changes to FC that sparse bundles are a bit redundant"

Completely, yes. I don't see what possible advantage or function they could possibly offer that isn't in fact redundant to what you can already do with just a simple library, no.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 8, 2014 at 12:54:52 am

Two purposes. If you keep your media and render files outside the library then there is still one package that contains all your assets: this could be any folder.

And more importantly for me - a sparse bundle can be unmounted like any drive and cannot be mounted from a simple finder. Thus students cannot open other student's projects and do any harm.

I had read that a library that gets too full is more likely to slow down and have other problems. If this is no longer the case, I would not mind skipping creating non-managed folders for media and render files. Though I would still need one for a copy of the P2 cards and back-up files.

The only downside I see to the sparse bundle is if everything is inside it and it got corrupted then all would be lost. Hasn't happened yet and this is true of a library that contained everything as well. Either way, if it is critical, you need to back it up on a different drive. With a bundle you can back-up all assets at once.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 8, 2014 at 7:57:23 am

[Craig Alan] "a sparse bundle can be unmounted like any drive and cannot be mounted from a simple finder. Thus students cannot open other student's projects and do any harm."

Ah, okay. Well that's a rather unique requirement, yes. So really what you're doing is less media management, but rather more of a type of Xsan mock-up. ;)

[Craig Alan] "I had read that a library that gets too full is more likely to slow down and have other problems. "

That has nothing to do with the explicit size of the actual library. If anything that has to do with the amount of material in any one library/event/project. Regardless of where that material is located. It also has to do with memory issues (as in RAM/VRAM). FCP can simply get choked up after a period of time (as will any NLE I've ever worked with) and needs to be "flushed" via a restart. Again, regardless of where the footage is located.

But ironically, if anything, then working off a sparse bundle is in fact SLOWER due to the nature of what is happening under the hood. So to use it for the sake of improved performance would in fact be rather paradox.

[Craig Alan] "The only downside I see to the sparse bundle is if everything is inside it and it got corrupted then all would be lost."

Not actually true. It's a sparse BUNDLE. Meaning it consists of hundreds if not thousands of roughly 8MB sized "bands" and the likelihood that more than one should corrupt at a time is highly unlikely. The rest would still be usable/accessible. Much like e.g. an image sequence. If just one images becomes corrupt, that doesn't mean you have to trash the entire animation. Also the reason why bundles allow for incremental backups and don't need to be recopied entirely each time, as do regular images. Only the new/different bands need to be backed up. That's also the main reasons why you want to be using a bundle and not just a regular image, IF in fact you feel you need to use images at all.

[Craig Alan] "this is true of a library that contained everything as well."

Wrong again. Pretty much for the same reason. Only a library is a PACKAGE not a bundle. Same reasoning applies. ;) If say a single clip were corrupted, that wouldn't make for an unusable library as a whole. Aside from FCP (hopefully) making backups to another location.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 9, 2014 at 4:42:04 am

Thanks Robin. The main reason I switched to bundles was because they take up only as much drive space as the files in them, though I don't think deleting files recovers the extra space, and they can be resized if you need more space. Happy to hear they are safer from corruption and if backed up can be updated rather than recopied. I once had an entire hard drive become corrupted so I never feel any single storage system is fool proof. I had another saved using disc warrior. Of course drive failure is much more common and by itself means the need to back up critical data.
Interesting you say that managed media is no more likely to have problems than large libraries referencing media stored outside the library. I remember reading otherwise. Not saying your wrong. And one or two less steps would be great because I'm setting up new projects throughout the week. I do notice that FC seems to eat up ram and will slow down. Quitting reopening does help. And it does this rather quickly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]