FORUMS: list search recent posts

OTish: Thunderbolt G-Raid runs hot

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
OTish: Thunderbolt G-Raid runs hot
on Sep 2, 2014 at 6:49:17 pm

Hey all -

picked up at 4tb G-Raid TB drive. After editing for a few hours today, I noticed that the thing runs very hot! I can see a spot for the fan on this thing, but it just felt out of the ordinary hot. Is this normal? Is there a way to tell if the fan is running properly? I am a bit concerned putting more data on the drive.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: OTish: Thunderbolt G-Raid runs hot
on Sep 2, 2014 at 8:22:44 pm

Hot as in you went to the emergency room after touching it for a second or hot as in somewhat uncomfortable holding it for 5 seconds? The latter sounds within the realm of normal to me...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 2, 2014 at 8:57:21 pm

certainly the latter.....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Bill Ravens
on Sep 2, 2014 at 8:59:06 pm

I have a Highpoint Rocketstor 6328. It tends to run very hot.....like Noah says..."wow, that's uncomfortable"....but, it never sent me running for an ice cube. It's normal.

Return to posts index

Joe Marler
on Sep 3, 2014 at 11:25:20 am

I have the 8TB Thunderbolt G-Raid and it's definitely not hot. The top, sides and bottom are mildly warm. There's a small intake fan in the rear which runs continuously. You may need a flashlight to see it turning.

I wonder if the lower capacity units try to get by without a cooling fan, just using conductive transfer to the metal case?

It's good to be suspicious about things like this because a failed cooling fan may cause eventual drive failure.

It's a pretty good unit, well made and appearance is good. You can stack them vertically, which is nice. Acoustic noise isn't very loud. Mine is in RAID 0, yet it's not nearly as fast as my 8TB Pegasus R4 RAID 5, but the G-Raid is a good value for the money.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Sep 6, 2014 at 7:58:43 am

Can you get a SMART utility to check drive status, which usually includes temp? I don't know if LaCie hardware RAIDs report this to the OS or not, since it may be seen as one drive. But it seems LaCie should have a utility to get SMART status from the individual drives in the unit.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]