FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replace Proxies with original footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan Kader
Replace Proxies with original footage
on Sep 2, 2014 at 9:37:11 am

So I was recently given ONLY the proxies to work with (music video project). And now that the final edit has been made I will soon be given the original footage that will need to be replaced with all of the proxies.

The original footage and the proxies have the same file naming, so I'm thinking I can do the following:

1.Move the all of the proxies to a different folder so FCPX can't link to them.
2.Simply move all of the original footage inside of the folder where the proxies were, where FCPX would link the proxies.

Could this work?

Return to posts index

James Ewart
Re: Replace Proxies with original footage
on Sep 2, 2014 at 11:48:57 am

Did they import everything into an FCPX Library as managed or external media prior to sending you the proxy files?

Did the Proxy files come to you in an event in a Library?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 2, 2014 at 11:50:02 am

No, that definitely won't work. Are the proxies in fact in the proxies folder? Meaning, are you editing with FCP set to proxy mode?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 2, 2014 at 12:25:10 pm

Unless the proxies were actually created and managed using the FCP X original/optimized/proxy workflow, it is highly unlikely that you will be able to relink them inside FCP X, no matter what you do. You should be able to relink these if you go through a Resolve roundtrip.

Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 2, 2014 at 1:37:43 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Unless the proxies were actually created and managed using the FCP X original/optimized/proxy workflow"

Yes, which is why I asked. If they in fact were, then getting the actual original/optimized media later on and relinking could work. Otherwise you're pretty much left with going through Resolve, Xto7 and back or the likes, yeah.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 2, 2014 at 2:31:35 pm
Last Edited By Ronny Courtens on Sep 2, 2014 at 2:32:07 pm

This is perfectly possible, as long as you don't start messing with the FCP X folders yourself. Here's how you do this right inside FCP X:

- If the proxy files have been generated in FCP X and they have sent you a Library with only the proxy files and without the Original Media (which can be done): just import the high-quality original media in your Library, switch the Viewer settings to Optimized/Original and your Project will connect to the original high-quality media.

- If they have sent you ProRes Proxy copies that were created from the high-quality original media in an external conversion program, you have imported these Proxy copies in your FCP X Library and now you want to replace the "Proxy" media with the high-quality original media: you can relink to the high-quality media without any problems as long as the high-quality media have exactly the same name and file extension as the "Proxy" copies you have been using.

If the high-quality files have different names than the proxy copies you have been using: you can still relink the proxy copies to the high-quality files within FCP X, but you will have to do it on a clip-by-clip basis. So you as long as you are sure that all high-quality files have the same names as your proxy copies you will be good.

I just tested these workflows successfully.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 2, 2014 at 2:36:06 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "- If they have sent you ProRes Proxy copies that were created from the high-quality original media in an external conversion program, you have imported these Proxy copies in your FCP X Library and now you want to replace the "Proxy" media with the high-quality original media: you can relink to the high-quality media without any problems as long as the high-quality media have exactly the same name and file extension as the "Proxy" copies you have been using. "

Has this worked for you lately? I have done this successfully before 10.1, but not since then.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Allan Kader
Re: place Proxies with original footage
on Sep 2, 2014 at 2:59:02 pm

It's the second situation you mentioned.

So how would I go about replacing all of the prores proxies with the prores 422?

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 2, 2014 at 3:22:45 pm

Oliver, I just did the test in 10.1.3 and yes, it works (see screenshots).

Alan,

Just make sure that the ProRes 422 files shave exactly the same file name and file extension as the ProRes Proxy files you have been using.

Then in FCP X select the Event and choose File > Relink Files.
In the Relink Files window that opens, make sure to select Relink: All.
Then press the Locate All button, navigate to the folder where your ProRes 422 files are stored and click Choose.
FCP X will match the ProRes Proxy files to the ProRes 422 files, then all you need is to press the Relink button and all your proxy clips in the Event will be linked to your ProRes 422 files.

Here's some screenshots:

I have a media folder with original DVCPRO HD files and a folder with ProRes LT files that were created from the original DVCPRO HD files in Compressor:

I have imported the ProRes LT files in my FCP X Library:

I select the Event and relink the LT files to the original DVCPRO HD files in the DVCPRO HD folder:

When the clips are relinked I select Reveal In Finder and I can see that the clips now actually link to the original DVCPRO HD files and no longer to the ProRes LT files:

- Ronny

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Sep 2, 2014 at 3:41:10 pm

Out of interest with different file names would there not be enough shared metadata for FCP to still figure it out?

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:44:46 pm

Hey James,

Not for relinking to new files. This is the way it goes:

1. When you import files into FCP X and you rename the original files after the importing, FCP X will still recognize the files and it will happily relink to the renamed files when needed.

2. When you want to relink a group of clips to a different set of files (as was the case for the OP), then in the Relink Files window you have to navigate to the folder where the new set of files ar stored.

- If the new files have exactly the same names as the files you want to relink FCP X will recognize the folder and you just have to click Choose to relink all the files in the folder. That's great.

- But if the new files have a different name than the files you want to relink FCP X will say that "None of the files are found in this folder" and you won't be able to choose that folder to relink all the files. That sucks. But a little bird has told me this is going to change in the future.

What you can do in this case is to select each clip you want to relink in the Relink Files window and manually match it to the new file that is named differently in the new folder. So you can force-relink clips one by one, but not as a group.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Sep 2, 2014 at 4:49:32 pm

Thanks for that Ronny. I get it.

I wonder why they did not generate the proxy files in FCPX first for Allan anyway. I guess they did not have the software.

One day it won't matter how ill disciplined one is, the software will just get you out of trouble no matter how deep the mire.

Not necessarily a good thing though methinks.

Cheers

James

Return to posts index

Karl Madsen
on Jan 4, 2015 at 4:00:15 am

Thanks for all the great info in this thread.

In this tutorial, I see that they just right click on the event and chose 'Transcode Media'. In this case they change it into proxy but can't you just choose' optimized media' instead and get the same result?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jan 4, 2015 at 12:23:56 pm

[Karl Madsen] "can't you just choose' optimized media' instead and get the same result?"

No. Optimized and proxy are two entirely different things. Optimized is for transcoding your footage into ProRes 422 without any loss in quality, but offers you more performance and realtime effects etc. than with most original media such as H.264, AVCHD etc.

Proxy on the other hand is highly compressed AND just half the resolution of the original. Meant for dealing with very large amounts of media (that would result in way too much data if simply optimized) and/or for offering realtime performance for even the weakest of workstations. Meant purely for editing, not for outputting.

- RK

Return to posts index

Karl Madsen
on Jan 4, 2015 at 6:04:46 pm

Ok, thanks.

I mean to take this of topic, but how do you check that your native file has actually replaced your proxy? I mean, the project info or the event info does not say anything about this being a proxy file before I start the relink process. Of course there is a difference in the file size. But is this really the only way to distinguish between the two?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 2, 2014 at 11:46:03 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "Oliver, I just did the test in 10.1.3 and yes, it works (see screenshots)."

My apologies. I misinterpreted your earlier post. It used to be possible to create external proxies and place them into the FCP X event's Proxy media folder and be able to use the internal toggle to go between, without actually using FCP X to transcode the proxies. That's what I thought you were referring to and that no longer works. Thanks for the other.

Cheers,
Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 2, 2014 at 3:43:53 pm

[Allan Kader] "So how would I go about replacing all of the prores proxies with the prores 422?"

Too bad we still don't know where exactly those files live at the moment.

Return to posts index

Allan Kader
on Sep 2, 2014 at 3:52:11 pm

Sorry for the delayed responds. Thanks for all the advice.

Ronny, I tried your way and it worked. This saved me big times. Thank you :)

Allan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]