FORUMS: list search recent posts

Auto Save Killing Me

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sterling Noren
Auto Save Killing Me
on Aug 29, 2014 at 6:01:14 pm

Hi all,

About every 10 minutes or so my Final Curt X program begins "backing up" (according to the Background Tasks wind). I have a fairly large project, it usually takes about 30 seconds for it to complete this automatic function. During this time, system responsiveness slows to a crawl - basically no editing for the duration. Since this happens every ten minutes or so, it is a real buzz-kill to productivity.

Is this normal? Is there any way to turn off this auto-save function or at leaf set it to occur less often?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Auto Save Killing Me
on Aug 29, 2014 at 6:14:15 pm

Is your system drive designated as the backups drive- is it close to full?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 29, 2014 at 6:38:02 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Aug 29, 2014 at 6:42:48 pm

[Sterling Noren] "Is this normal? Is there any way to turn off this auto-save function or at leaf set it to occur less often?"

You can turn it off. Select the Library, open the inspector, click the "modify settings" button next to Storage Locations, click the Backups drop down and choose "Do Not Save'. If you do this, I'd strongly recommend using Backups for Final Cut Pro (app store) or something. Having no backups is a very bad idea. I use Backups, as well as Digital Rebellion Pro Versioner. More is better. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 30, 2014 at 4:40:23 am

Careful now, Bill might accuse you of slandering the good name of Final Cut Pro by accusing it of murder! :)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 30, 2014 at 4:33:49 pm

Not might, Bret, would.

Remember, I came our of advertising. There's nothing more powerful than unaddressed slander when it comes to moulding public opinion.

Just remember how John Kerry, the one who served honorably in combat in Vietnam - got "swift boated" into being "the coward." And how Bush 43 (who had kinda sorta draft-dodged via a preferential Nat Guard slot) got painted as the brave patriot in the 2004 election cycle?

Regardless of the esteem or contempt which which you hold either participant, there's never been a clearer example of how allowing inaccurate messaging to go unaddressed can mould public opinion away from truth and elevate the stature of lies via message manipulation.

So yep, I push back. And am delighted when others counter-push and that leads to the clarity of robust discussion.

That's just how I'm wired. ; )

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 30, 2014 at 3:53:05 pm

Odd. I even have mine set to backup to the cloud and a lot of large projects open (though the amount of data per backup cycle is in fact *very* small) and I never notice it. I would assume there may be an issue with the disk you are saving to.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Aug 30, 2014 at 4:15:39 pm

I assume you don't have Tima Machine on. That gave me trouble, long ago.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Aug 30, 2014 at 5:04:59 pm

are you backing up the ptroject and the media, or just the project? If you are backing up project and media, I can see why things would grind to a halt on back up.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 30, 2014 at 5:23:36 pm

[Mark Smith] "are you backing up the ptroject and the media, or just the project?"

FCP X's backup feature does not backup media.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Aug 30, 2014 at 7:55:05 pm

Why did I think that backing up media was an option? Has it been an option in the past?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 31, 2014 at 3:12:40 am

Backing up at all is a new feature. So no it wasn't an option in the past. A decent idea, but a good Raid 5 probably addresses large amounts if data better than a background backup.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Sep 6, 2014 at 12:55:11 pm

I've got the backups bug. It's backing up in Background tasks avery second. Weird.

Return to posts index

Keith Koby
on Sep 9, 2014 at 8:36:03 pm

I should mention that we see this too on a few stations, but not on all. It seems like it effects only certain projects. Look at the folder where your backups are supposed to be saved and see if they are there.

Keith

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Sep 10, 2014 at 3:01:10 am

Yup it's empty. It's like it's trying but cannot do it for some reason.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]