FORUMS: list search recent posts

"Disabling" video of clip but not audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Gowan
"Disabling" video of clip but not audio
on Aug 28, 2014 at 6:52:08 pm

Been working with FCP X for a few months now, obviously some things I like, some I don't.

One feature to my old workflow that I just can't stop wishing I had back is disabling a clip's video but leaving audio enabled. I've been dropping opacity down to 0% but all those keystrokes truly affects my creative flow, and there must be some better way.

Anybody know an answer?

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
Re: "Disabling" video of clip but not audio
on Aug 28, 2014 at 7:27:25 pm

You could detach the audio from the video clip and then select the video clip and hit V. You could then select both audio and video and convert it to a compound clip if you're worried about it getting out of sync. This way, you could always re-enable the video portion if desired.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

James Ewart
A bit off topic
on Aug 29, 2014 at 11:48:10 am

I know one can work round this (reveal in finder and drop in to timeline again) but the inability to 'reattach audio' is something I have never understood. I am guessing there is a very good reason why you can't... anyone know?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: A bit off topic
on Aug 29, 2014 at 1:22:11 pm

Same reason with don't have a lot of features. And when you discover that reason, please share! :)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 29, 2014 at 3:55:09 pm

[James Ewart] "I know one can work round this (reveal in finder and drop in to timeline again) "

Reveal in Finder?

[James Ewart] "but the inability to 'reattach audio' is something I have never understood."

How can you not reattach?? Select, ⇧F, ⌥R... done. What more are you looking for... even less steps?

Otherwise you can just as well make a compound clip of both, which is essentially what every single clip in your event is anyway.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Aug 29, 2014 at 4:03:03 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Aug 29, 2014 at 6:25:10 pm

Apologies and thank you for picking up on that I meant "Reveal in Event Browser" .

For my (as you have previously already established) seriously flawed personality it would be logical if one has a "detach audio" command to also have an "attach audio" command.

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Aug 29, 2014 at 4:10:36 pm

Actually, I think this may be the heart of "my issue." I really want to be able to re-attach an audio clip.

Say I have a b-roll shot, and want the ambient sound, but there's a dog barking at the point where I want the visual of the clip. I want to detach audio and slip to better in/out points, but I don't want to have that just dangle as a connected clip. Re-attach clip would be great. Cleaner, safer.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Aug 29, 2014 at 4:20:15 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Aug 29, 2014 at 4:37:42 pm

At the end of the day though what I have found is a lot of the time the audio adjustments you want to make can be made by simply expanding the audio. And then collapsing. It does require a slightly different thought process but most of the time it's all you need.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
Re: A bit more off topic
on Aug 29, 2014 at 4:30:33 pm
Last Edited By James Ewart on Aug 30, 2014 at 4:55:07 am

And another thing.

Why not call "Reveal in Event Browser" "Match Frame"?

That one really is beyond the pale.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: A bit more off topic but maybe one for Bret
on Aug 30, 2014 at 8:23:45 am
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Aug 30, 2014 at 1:19:37 pm

Of course it is.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 29, 2014 at 4:55:56 pm

[Neil Gowan] " I want to detach audio and slip to better in/out points, but I don't want to have that just dangle as a connected clip. Re-attach clip would be great. Cleaner, safer."

Well, in a tracked system it would always be disconnected anyway, so I don't see the difference. As long as the connection point is to the proper clip it'll always stay in sync. Or, as long as the A/V are the same length after you slip it, you can just hit OPT-G to comp it into a single container.

If the Audio extends beyond the video you'll have to pop out of the primary first to expand and trim it, or just expand A/V and trim the video in the primary after you comp it. There are number of ways to do this, unlike with tracks, where the audio is always "dangling". ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Aug 29, 2014 at 5:13:06 pm

I do miss "slip into sync" and "move into sync" for this kind of stuff. It would be nice to have this option having "detached" audio. Actually having started with Avid MC this was the thing about FCP (1.2) that I loved the most. So helpful.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 29, 2014 at 5:31:25 pm

[James Ewart] "I do miss "slip into sync" and "move into sync" for this kind of stuff. It would be nice to have this option having "detached" audio. Actually having started with Avid MC this was the thing about FCP (1.2) that I loved the most. So helpful."

Agree in theory, but in practice, in X, you really don't need it. The only reason to detach audio in X is to intentionally move it out of sync, or upcut it or something. Again, if the connection point is correct, it's stays where you put it. To re-sync, just match back and replace. 2 keystrokes in X vs 1 right click in 7.

Not saying it wouldn't be nice as an option, but it's kind of superfluous. It's easy to screw up sync with tracks, that's why the out of sync indicator exists. In X, you have to break sync deliberately.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Aug 29, 2014 at 5:57:03 pm

I get what you are saying but I am thinking in terms of long projects where I come back to something and then change my mind or realise I have made a mistake. It's a 60 minute film - I've come back to something weeks later...

So say I have tampered with the audio and you like what you have done and therefore do not want to Shift F Option R because that will get me back to square one. BUT I do want the audio back in sync. What then?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 29, 2014 at 6:18:28 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Aug 29, 2014 at 6:20:27 pm

[James Ewart] "So say I have tampered with the audio and you like what you have done and therefore do not want to Shift F Option R because that will get me back to square one. BUT I do want the audio back in sync. What then?"

I guess it depends on what you mean... If by "back in sync" you mean that it's in sync, but detached for some reason and you've eq'd/effected it in some way, then I'd copy/match/replace/paste effects. In that case I wouldn't have detached it in the first place though. If you've thrown it out of sync, for a cheat or something, and then messed with the audio. I'd just comp it back to a single clip, as putting "back in sync" would destroy your cheat.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Aug 29, 2014 at 6:23:56 pm

Would "move into sync" be such an unreasonable function?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 29, 2014 at 6:31:15 pm

[James Ewart] "Would "move into sync" be such an unreasonable function?"

Nope. :-) Personally I don't miss it even a tiny bit now, but having it as an option would be a good thing.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 30, 2014 at 2:57:17 pm

[James Ewart] "For my… seriously flawed personality"

Ah yes. Wouldn't want to do without the superfluous snark.

[James Ewart] "it would be logical if one has a "detach audio" command to also have an "attach audio" command."

Then there's the ⌥G command that does exactly that.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 3, 2014 at 4:03:09 am

Except u end up with a compound clip in your browser and I keep hearing reports that too many compounds can slow things down and even contribute to corruption. Not sure if that is the latest understanding but it gives me pause.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
detaching audio
on Sep 3, 2014 at 5:37:00 am

I keep asking myself why I want to do this anyway. Answer is invariably if I change my mind about something and simply want to go back but it's too late to simply "undo". If this is the case I think I am more inclined to use the two step fix mentioned by Robin Kurz earlier rather than making Compound Clips but it's possible that yours and my Compound Clip paranoia is a result of bugs now long since fixed.

Incidentally I much prefer the compound clip solution to "nesting" in Legacy.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: detaching audio
on Sep 3, 2014 at 9:17:16 am

[James Ewart] "I am more inclined to use the two step fix mentioned by Robin Kurz earlier rather than making Compound Clips"

Question is, why would you want a compound clip if a simple REPLACE does the trick? That only unnecessarily clutters your event with unneeded additional clips. And the whole "makes slow and unstable" thing is veeeery old. That applied to the OLD compounds that FCP had (until 10.0.6?). At least I haven't heard or seen of it since. Especially since I just finished a project that had around *120* compounds in it...

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Sep 3, 2014 at 11:51:04 am

"Question is, why would you want a compound clip if a simple REPLACE does the trick?"

Forgive me but I wouldn't. I was after a one step "reattach audio" solution and you suggested ⌥G.

Post copied here:

JE "it would be logical if one has a "detach audio" command to also have an "attach audio" command."
RK "Then there's the ⌥G command that does exactly that."

But yes Reveal in Event Browser and Replace works fine.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 4, 2014 at 1:53:07 pm

James,

I get your original feature request and get the two options available as of this update. But if you reveal in browser and then replace edit, you are going upstream right? That is any changes you made to the clip are now lost. A compound clip would work but liters your browser with extra clips that need to be named and organized and further, unless you are careful with assigning them as a new master, any changes you make to one use ripples to all others. My feature request would be to allow a save to browser of any clip without making it a compound. And a reveal in timeline of any clip in the browser. I've reached a comfort zone with basic editing in FC but when I get past that and need to create layers (post track work flow), I start to get uncomfortable or at least still wonder what the best work flow would be.

I'm not a full time editor and it just feels at times that I spend more time managing FC organization than I'd like. Compounds do seem to be the answer to many of these needs but the parent child thing feels overly complex to me. Most of the time when I create one I'd really prefer if it wash;t saved to the browser as its own mini-timeline.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 4, 2014 at 2:06:53 pm

[Craig Alan] "That is any changes you made to the clip are now lost."

That's what "Paste Attributes" is for.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 3, 2014 at 9:21:37 am

... and that event/project had a total running time of over 11 hours, too, btw. (spread across 50+ projects)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 28, 2014 at 7:56:39 pm

[Neil Gowan] " and there must be some better way."

IF u want to replace the pix above the audio while keeping the original, just pop the clip below the primary.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 28, 2014 at 8:03:25 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Aug 28, 2014 at 8:11:46 pm

First off, it'd be helpful to know in which context you need that?

There are of course much easier solutions, since detaching is certainly not something I would recommend. Pretty much ever.

ONE would be to simply place the clip UNDER the primary (assuming it's in fact a connected clip?)

The other and most likely actual solution (assuming that it's something you only want/need to do temporarily) would involve that magic word: Roles. Simply open the timeline index and deactivate the VIDEO role (or whichever video related role the clip in question belongs to)... done. ;) If that also deactivates the video you're wanting to see, then simply set up another video role or sub-role and assign it to the clip that you want to deactivate. E.g. if it is (and others are) a connected clip, make a "connected" sub-role and assign it as needed.

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Aug 28, 2014 at 8:17:51 pm

Yeah, not really asking how to cover the video with something else...I'm wanting to turn it off. I cut a lot of doc work and being able to turn off the visuals while leaving the sound byte playing has become a useful creative tool for me over the years.

I don't want to detach the audio from the video, and I need the ability to "undo" this...turn it back on if desired.

I looked into the roles workflow. Definitely a solution...I just created a "disabled video" role and assigned sections of clips to it. However in my current project, it's extra complicated because of how I set up my raw media.

Which brings me to a whole different question...was this a mistake?...I have 15-20 hours of doc footage shot with external audio. Lots of syncing to do just to be able to hear the footage decently. I couldn't find a way to "bulk sync" footage in FCP X, so I used PluralEyes. Then, to avoid having audio files sitting in timelines as attached clips, I created compound clips of all my raw synced media.
Now I'm working with ALL compound clips. A little clunky...sometimes I'm just trying to roll an edit and I click on that stupid compound clip icon in the top left corner and go there instead. Plus it complicates things like trying to setup roles for a section of a clip but not the whole clip.
Is there a better way to sync such large amounts of footage and organize them once synced?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 28, 2014 at 8:38:43 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Sep 3, 2014 at 12:32:12 pm

No offence, but it sounds to me like you jumped into FCP X rather unprepared and are missing a lot of the basics. In which case I'm not surprised that you're frustrated. To type out a better workflow suggestion would take *me* ages (especially since I'm not even entirely sure what is is you're doing or need), but maybe someone else is willing and able. Otherwise I would highly recommend taking a break from the project long enough to check out some tutorials on the subjects in question first. Be it Ripple Training, Izzy or just plain YouTube, whereby I personally recommend Ripple the most.

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Aug 28, 2014 at 8:48:15 pm

Gone through Izzy, Larry Jordan, and a couple from Lynda. Couldn't find any of them addressing bulk syncing workflows.
Totally respect your time so I wouldn't ask for a tutorial in and of itself, but can you describe for me in a nutshell what you would do to sync all of that and begin your editorial process?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 30, 2014 at 2:29:29 pm

[Neil Gowan] "but can you describe for me in a nutshell what you would do to sync all of that and begin your editorial process?"

If you need batching, then PluralEyes is the way to go, yes.

And... again... if you want just the audio of a clip, simply use the "Audio Only" edit mode. If you change your mind later, select, ⇧F, ⌥R. Otherwise roles. I don't see why none of those solutions shouldn't be completely satisfying for what it is you are describing you need, unless I'm missing something.

Wanting it to work differently or expecting it to, because one is used to it that way, unfortunately doesn't change the way it's meant to be used, if that should be your biggest issue. ;)

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Sep 3, 2014 at 12:10:20 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "No offence, but it sounds to me like you jumped into FCP X completely unprepared and are missing a lot of the basics."

Robin, I keep coming back to this and wondering what it is that made you think this. I certainly acknowledge that I have much to learn in FCP X (I feel like one of those directors who insist on editing their own stuff but never really learn efficiencies and shortcuts so they take way longer than an editor would to perform the same edits). Cutting a feature-length doc with it as such a newbie may have been a mistake...but I'm in the middle of it now.

I just have to know if there are specific steps in my workflow that I've described that made you think, "this guy's crazy...I never would have done it that way." If there are, what am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 3, 2014 at 1:40:15 pm

[Neil Gowan] "you think, "this guy's crazy..."

Well, I wouldn't go quite THAT far. :D

I wasn't suggesting you were doing anything wrong per se, just that by what you describe of your project, with e.g. all the compound clips, it strikes me you may still be missing the needed experience (and maybe said knowledge) to be tackling such a seemingly large project. (which is not to say that *I* haven't been guilty of that in the past ;-D) But since you have apparently done your best with the homework, you at least get an A for effort. It just initially sounded like you may not even have done that, so I apologise for being presumptuous.

What you are doing "wrong" or how it could be done better is near impossible for me to say without actually sitting in front of it. Otherwise any and everything I suggest (which could be any number of things) may or may not be applicable or even useful. Therefore potentially redundant and/or pointless and also a waste of both of our time. Again, no offence meant. And for all I know, you may in fact be doing what's best for that particular project. But then, as I've said, having what sounds like an inordinate amount of compounds, suggests you may at least be overthinking or "misusing" some of the workflow options.

Either way, I hope you find the best possible workflow for the project. There are an amazing amount of organisational options and tools in FCP X that can be eye-poppingly useful for one project and at best mildly useful for others. Experience and constant fiddling are your best friends. ;)

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Sep 3, 2014 at 1:45:53 pm

Thanks Robin. Helpful insights.

One of my biggest challenges is isolation. Working at home has it's advantages, but rubbing shoulders with other professionals is what I miss most about working in a studio every day.

I guess that's why they created the Cow! ;)

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 3, 2014 at 2:00:35 pm

[Neil Gowan] "Working at home has it's advantages, but rubbing shoulders with other professionals is what I miss most about working in a studio every day."

I hear ya. Feel pretty much the same.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 28, 2014 at 8:09:25 pm

On the other hand, you don't say if you need this permanently or just temporarily. If just temporarily, then see the above. But if permanently, then obviously you'll simply want to do an "Audio Only" edit. (⇧3)

Return to posts index

Chuck Pelini
on Aug 28, 2014 at 9:08:19 pm

Just scale the video track to 0%.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 28, 2014 at 9:10:15 pm

[Chuck Pelini] "Just scale the video track to 0%."

How is that more convenient or practical than setting the opacity to 0?

Return to posts index

Chuck Pelini
on Aug 28, 2014 at 9:25:14 pm

To scale, you do not have to scroll down in the inspector as far. So I guess there is some advantage.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 29, 2014 at 2:20:11 pm

You can hide the open areas of the inspector that you don't use too often like Color, Distort and Crop for example. Then you won't have to scroll down to get to the Compositing portion where opacity is located. The setting should remain until relaunch.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:47:24 pm

[Neil Gowan] "and there must be some better way.

Anybody know an answer?"

Actually, if I'm understanding you now... you want to disable the video while you screen/cut up clips, then re-enable it for the cut? If that's the case, just turn off the Video role in the index. No need to create a new one, as all video gets this role by default. If you need it just for individual bits in a cut or something then yes, creating a dedicated role(s) is the war to go...

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 29, 2014 at 10:37:40 am

It would be nice, however, so select a bunch of video clips and a bunch of corresponding external audio clips and go "fetch" and it does more than one at a time. I don't think the OP got a definitive answer on this. I am interested as I have material coming in today that will involve a couple hundred audio and DSLR video clips....and did I read right that Plural Eyes can do this?

sw

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Aug 29, 2014 at 12:26:51 pm

Not sure how PluralEyes would perform with hundreds of clips...anybody tried it? I drop in one day's worth of footage at a time, which is about 4-5 hours/5-6 reels/10-15 video clips with 5-10 audio files. My workflow (which is think is typical) is to drop in raw video clips, followed by corresponding audio clips, export xml, import in PluralEyes, sync, export xml, import back in FCP X.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Aug 30, 2014 at 5:21:24 pm

Can you talk me though that in more detail please? I have had great success syncing with FCPX but much smaller amounts of footage at a time so have not had to use pluralise for a while.
I guessFCPX just can't handle your volume?

Thanks

James

Return to posts index

Neil Gowan
on Sep 3, 2014 at 11:59:30 am

[James Ewart] "Can you talk me though that in more detail please?"

You mean my workflow with PluralEyes?

I described it previously...did you have specific questions beyond this? :

I sync one day's worth of footage at a time, which is about 4-5 hours/5-6 reels/10-15 video clips, with 5-10 audio files. My workflow (which is think is typical) is to drop in raw video clips, then drop in corresponding audio clips, export xml, import in PluralEyes, sync, export xml, import back in FCP X.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Sep 3, 2014 at 12:00:42 pm

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Sep 3, 2014 at 12:01:35 pm

YouTube is your friend.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=batch+syncing+with+pluraleyes

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Sep 3, 2014 at 3:43:18 am

Could u put the clip on a lower layer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]