FORUMS: list search recent posts

Consolidate Library and Compound Clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jim bachalo
Consolidate Library and Compound Clips
on Aug 26, 2014 at 11:04:49 pm

I recently 'archived' a project by creating a new archive library, copying my project there, and then choosing Consolidate Library.

However, I seem to be missing essential files that were inside Compound Clips.

Someone please tell me that FCPX recognizes files INSIDE of Compound Clips when Consolidating a Library!

You should follow me on Twitter here. My latest work

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
Re: Consolidate Library and Compound Clips
on Aug 26, 2014 at 11:43:52 pm

Hmmmm... just how did you copy the project? You first need to consolidate a project, event or library before you copy it. It kind of sounds like you may have done something backwards maybe?

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Aug 27, 2014 at 12:56:08 am
Last Edited By Ron Priest on Aug 27, 2014 at 2:04:47 am

Perhaps you're right, it just seems to me that you need to get all of your eggs in the one basket before you move or copy the basket.

I was just looking at Ripple Training's Media Management Commands and they are presented in the following order:

1. Consolidate
2. Move and Copy
3. Export/Import XML

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:10:02 am
Last Edited By Ron Priest on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:12:46 am

Okay, I've been going over some additional training from Ripple Training, Specifically lesson 14 from their title "Final Cut Pro 10.1 In Depth" and they are saying exactly what you said Bret, my bad. Which brings us back to the OP question, which is a good one, and Im looking forward to an answer.

Does the order depend on if you are consolidating out of the library, versus consolidating into the library?

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Mark Spencer
on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:46:45 am

When you consolidate a project, event, or library that contains compound clips (or multicam clips) that reference clips from outside the current library, those clips are also copied into the current library to make the library completely self-contained. If both libraries are on the same volume, hard links are created instead of copies to save on disk space, but the basic concept remains intact: libraries never depend on other libraries, no matter how you move or copy clips or projects between them.

--
Mark Spencer
Freelance Producer/Editor/Motion Graphics Artist
Apple-certified Master Trainer
Author, Motion 4 from Peachpit Press
http://www.applemotion.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]