FORUMS: list search recent posts

A better work flow?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Claude Lyneis
A better work flow?
on Aug 26, 2014 at 4:39:57 pm

I have a FCPX project, which was a rework of some 16 mm silent film. It was edited in the primary story line and has Foley and voice overs as collected clips. Now I have an improved digital transfer of the 16 mm film and want to replace the original without disrupting the timing of the audio. The two digital transfers are not identical in speed, but within a percent or so.
I built a new version by putting the new film in the secondary story line, cutting and trying to match action down to the frame level. I could turn the upper segments on and off to see how they matched. A little tedious, but it worked. However, now it would be convenient to have the new clips in the primary story line for further editing, but since the audio is synched to the existing material, is there a good way to do that?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: A better work flow?
on Aug 26, 2014 at 5:30:04 pm

Just moving it into the primary won't work? Cmd+option down arrow?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 26, 2014 at 8:52:16 pm

[Claude Lyneis] " now it would be convenient to have the new clips in the primary story line for further editing, but since the audio is synched to the existing material, is there a good way to do that?"

What Bret said. Duplicate ithe project or snapshot it first just in case. Select all the "old" clips in the current primary, and lift them out creating a new secondary with the original cut. Select the "new" secondary and overwrite to the primary. Disable the original clips and off you go. This assumes all your audio is connected, not contained as components in the video. Easy. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Aug 27, 2014 at 12:53:37 am

Thanks for the answers. I was amazed that cmd option arrow down did just what I was wishing for. I was worried that the connected audio clips would be affected or moved, but it worked perfectly. There is so much still to learn ( and remember) in FCPX.
Claude

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]