FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to make a backup of an FCPx project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian McLaren
Trying to make a backup of an FCPx project
on Aug 26, 2014 at 2:17:49 pm

Trying to make a backup of a project created in 10.1.3. So far I've tried to duplicate the project within FCPx, use the "copy library" option, copy the entire hard drive with both Carbon Copy Cloner and SuperDuper and a simple Finder copy. Also bought the app "Backups for Final Cut Pro." None of them work. Most of the time when I go to the new hard drive and open the backup, I get only "Media Missing" red flags, even though the Finder shows that the media has been copied. I have also tried to point it to the media in the dialog box that opens.

I suspect it may be because I moved the media outside the Project as External Media (I did this hoping that SuperDuper would do an incremental backup — the project is over 1 terrabyte).

Now even stranger things are happening. The original project Media Folder (my external files) now shows in the finder as being 2.54 TB — even though it is on a 2 TB hard drive! (This is why it won't copy in Finder, Superduper or CCC — they say "not enough room"). I have tried using FCPx to delete the Optimized files — some delete but most don't; I still have a folder of Optimized files that is 1.8 TB, even though the folder Final Cut Original Media is only 315 GB.

The other oddity is I now have three Cache files: "Primary Library Cache," "Primary Library Cache 1" and "Primary Library Cache 2." Previously, if I deleted unused Proxy files, the cache would reduce in side — it no longer does this.

All I want to do is make a basic safety backup of my project — any ideas?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Trying to make a backup of an FCPx project
on Aug 26, 2014 at 8:31:35 pm

Are you trying to backup the media or the library?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 28, 2014 at 9:18:56 am

Are you choosing "Consolidate Media" for the library AFTER the copy from within FCP (the only way you should be doing it btw)?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 28, 2014 at 2:17:02 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "(the only way you should be doing it btw)?"

Not if he's just trying to backup the lIbrary without the media, though.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]