FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does fcpx edit H264?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Enrico Lappano
Does fcpx edit H264?
on Aug 25, 2014 at 6:39:49 pm

I still haven't made the upgrade from fcp 7 to fcpx because I like the old format. However, if fcpx would edit in raw H264 files, that would be a deciding factor because I find the upressing to ProRes is an inefficient workflow creatively, and regarding both time and memory spent. I would much rather upres the projects after the final edit. Apple says that fcpx will edit H264 natively. Is this true or should I be looking at Premiere still to really handle those H264 files?

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Does fcpx edit H264?
on Aug 25, 2014 at 7:24:32 pm

Yes. FCP X can edit H264 natively.. It can also transcode your footage to prores while you work so there's no down time at all.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Aug 25, 2014 at 8:51:05 pm

Does it edit slower in H264 than in ProRes? When fcpx first came out people seemed to be complaining about how well it handled raw H264 files, suggesting Premiere instead for that reason.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 25, 2014 at 9:15:20 pm

As with most things, it depends primarily on YOUR COMPUTER i.e. it's CPU and most of all GPU punch. Meaning that if it isn't exactly 5+ years old, it should work just dandy. Either way there's no reason why it should perform any worse (if anything then much better) than PPro. But since H.264 is a long GOP format, transcoding to ProRes for editing (which happens optionally in the background as you work) is not a bad idea, simply to reduce the overhead load on the system. Again, regardless of which NLE you are using.

Either way, you should definitely check out as much training as you can BEFORE you get into the deep and dirty of X. Simply because if you're coming from 7 there are various things you need to know to not get horribly frustrated within the first 10 minutes of using it. It IS different. But most definitely in a GOOD way. Only you need to know and understand the basics to appreciate that. If english is your language, I highly recommend checking out Ripple Training for that. But if even a mere 50 bucks is too much for you (though well worth it), then google e.g. Izzy's tutorials.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 25, 2014 at 10:45:30 pm

As Robin says, it depends on your computer. Bye 2010 Mac Pro tower with 32 GB of RAM handles basic H264 fine. But it starts to choke on multi-clips larger than five streams. This is a processor issue because H264 is processor intensive to decode on the fly. So when I'm working with multiclips, I make sure to transcode. If I had A newer Mac Pro I probably wouldn't bother.

You're going to have the same problem with Premiere unless you have a CUDA card installed. Premiere handles H264 better only when it can leverage the Mercury playback engine.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Aug 25, 2014 at 11:24:00 pm

I appreciate your info guys.

I'm running on a MacPro, around 5 years with 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 memory and still on Snow Leopard (Version 10.6.8). How is that? Too old? Is it worth also updating it to Maverick?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 26, 2014 at 12:13:32 am

Mavericks is required for the last 3 updates.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 26, 2014 at 9:10:14 am

[Andy Neil] "Premiere handles H264 better only when it can leverage the Mercury playback engine."

I beg to differ from experience. Given FCP X, OpenCL 2.0 and a meaty GPU, it will easily outperform PPro. If you have dual GPUs it will smoke it.

[Enrico Lappano] "I'm running on a MacPro, around 5 years with 2.66 GHz Quad-Core, 8 GB 1066 MHz DDR3 memory and still on Snow Leopard (Version 10.6.8). How is that? Too old? Is it worth also updating it to Maverick?"

As it's been said, that would in fact be a must, yes. As long as it's not a 2008 machine that shouldn't be a problem. Stocking up on RAM certainly wouldn't be a bad idea either. And pretty much every current NLE is extremely *GPU* centric, so the more you have in that dept. the better also. But at some point I'd say you'll have to ask yourself if not a whole new machine, even if it's "just" an upper-end iMac isn't in fact the better and overall much more efficient alternative. Depending on what you have planned for your production future. ;)

Return to posts index

Enrico Lappano
on Aug 26, 2014 at 12:52:14 pm

Thank you for all of your clear responses. It makes my decision as clear. In the meantime, I should probably change from Snow Leopard to Maverick also. I have some projects on the go still in fcp 7. Will I be able to use it, perhaps move some things to fcp X?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 26, 2014 at 4:10:42 pm

FCP 7 works on Mavericks in most cases just fine. But if you use lots of plugins or 3rd party stuff, then there have been plenty of reports of bugs, strange behavior, or even just not working.

You'll need to read up on how to have 7 and X installed on the same machine as well.

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Aug 26, 2014 at 12:58:21 am

FCPX works well with h.264 1080 on my mid 11 iMac 27 inch with I5 chip. It saves me a lot of disk space over FCP7 which had to transcode and increased storage by about a factor of 8. Of course, it took me some time to get up to speed. Now there are a lot of great tutorials.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]