FORUMS: list search recent posts

How do I send a whole complete project off to be color corrected?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pete Johnson
How do I send a whole complete project off to be color corrected?
on Aug 24, 2014 at 9:51:00 pm

Here's my dilemma, I'm working with someone that has FCPX 10.06 and I have version 10.1 and he wants to copy the complete project (video files, audio files, everything) onto a hard drive and then send it off to this guy who will color correct it, we're wondering if it would be best to bring it into my version 10.1 so that the project can be converted to the new version's standards or if it would be easier to just send the 10.06 version and let the colorist handle it?
Also what is the correct procedure (using version 10.06/10.1) to copy the whole project onto a separate hard?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: How do I send a whole complete project off to be color corrected?
on Aug 25, 2014 at 1:59:57 am

Unfortunately projects cannot be opened in older versions, so the friend would need to either use your system or update his to 10.1.3 (assuming that's what you're on). The actual color correction would depend on what the colorist is using. Generally you'd create a XML that would reference your original media. So you'd need to copy all of the media along with the XML to an external drive. That said, not every grading app will work directly with an FCP X XML. The one that currently has the broadest level of support is DaVinci Resolve.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Pete Johnson
on Aug 25, 2014 at 3:43:37 am

I'm not sure which color correction program the colorist is using but he also has FCPX so we were thinking that we could just send him the hard drive with the project and files on it and he could just open it up in his FCPX and do whatever he needs to do.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 25, 2014 at 7:48:43 am

I'd personally update the project to your 10.1.x first. Because the colorist, who will most likely have 10.1.x himself, will obviously have to do it either way if you want to leave the XML (or whatever) export up to him. Aside from the fact that the newer FCP also has a *much* improved XML than the (very) old 10.0.6 (whereby I have no clue why someone would want to stick with such an ancient version, especially since all updates are free, but that's beside the point). Many more parameters and settings (e.g. color and sound) are supported i.e. carried over.

After converting I would simply set the libraries storage location to itself and consolidate. That way you know everything is included when you copy it over to an external drive (which I would *also* do from within FCP btw!). Though things such as titles are not retained. And if the colorist is using FCP X, then I'd say it's very likely he also uses Resolve.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 25, 2014 at 1:17:31 pm

There was a point where you had to have mountain lion to update, and older MacPros and MacBook pros can't update past lion. So that might be the case with 10.0.6.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 25, 2014 at 1:30:40 pm

Actually, the system requirements for FCP X were Mac OS X Snow Leopard or Lion all the way to v10.0.9. The only thing that changed along the way (with 10.0.3 I believe) were the GPU requirements. v10.1.x requires OS 10.9, yes.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 25, 2014 at 4:42:02 pm

Then it certainly is bizarre to see someone using 10.0.6.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 25, 2014 at 4:46:56 pm
Last Edited By Robin S. Kurz on Aug 25, 2014 at 5:14:35 pm

Exactly.

The only reason I can think of for doing that... well... let's not go there. ;)

Return to posts index

Pete Johnson
on Aug 26, 2014 at 1:06:04 pm

[QUOTE] Exactly.

The only reason I can think of for doing that... well... let's not go there. ;) [/QUOTE]

Actually I believe that the reason he hasn't upgraded is because FCPX is working fine for him and he doesn't want to upset that. I know in the audio world the saying was never upgrade right away and if it's not broke then don't fix it, I have a friend in Phoenix that has a buddy that still uses Logic 5.5 (because it works well for him).
I know with myself when I upgraded to 10.1 I had a couple of issues so I called apple and asked them how do I go back to the previous version, they said I could not unless I had previously made a compressed (zipped) copy of the previous version of FCPX. I think we all want to have the latest version of any program but it sucks when everything is working great then you upgrade and now you have problems.
With that being said I'm with you, I told him that he needs to take the plunge and upgrade.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 26, 2014 at 1:50:02 pm

[Pete Johnson] "Actually I believe that the reason he hasn't upgraded is because FCPX is working fine for him and he doesn't want to upset that. I know in the audio world the saying was never upgrade right away and if it's not broke then don't fix it, I have a friend in Phoenix that has a buddy that still uses Logic 5.5 (because it works well for him)."

Generally a legitimate point, sure. If that's the case, okay. But e.g. Logic 5.5 is/was also a much more mature software in comparison to its most current counterpart than FCP X is/was. And we're talking *two years* of additional development for said "immature" software, which is a lot, particularly for an effectively v1.0 app. I get not wanting to do the BIG jumps right away (i.e. 10.0 to 10.1), but missing out on the smaller incremental ones that really only introduced speed, stability and bug-fixes are imho a must if you're earning a living with it (and you of course aren't in the middle of a project at that moment). Especially since the further away you get, the harder the step becomes. For one you'll have that many more projects to update.

And not drooling over and desperately wanting the new media management/library structure in comparison is also weird. ;)

Return to posts index

Pete Johnson
on Aug 26, 2014 at 5:17:27 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "And not drooling over and desperately wanting the new media management/library structure in comparison is also weird. ;)"

To be honest that was the main reason why I had called apple about switching back to the previous version, I had gotten so use to how everything worked in the previous version and I got frustrated trying to figure out how all the new features worked. But now I do like the new features and I think 10.1 is a lot better than 10.6.

Return to posts index

Pete Johnson
on Aug 26, 2014 at 12:48:01 pm

Thanks Robin, I will take your advice and convert it in 10.1 first and then copy it to the external hard drive like you explained.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]