FORUMS: list search recent posts

Memory leak?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bret Williams
Memory leak?
on Aug 22, 2014 at 3:40:09 pm

If you have a memory monitoring app like memory clean, next time you get the spinning beach ball watch your memory. I was getting the beach ball and had about 6 gigs available. Within 30 seconds of beach ball, I sat and watched the memory. 6 gigs, 5 gigs, 4gigs, 3 gigs, 2 gigs, crash. There is a serious memory issue with this app. I don't actually know what a memory leak is, but this seems like one.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Memory leak?
on Aug 22, 2014 at 6:00:21 pm

Yep. Been there since day one. Are you running a Red Rocket card by any chance? This was a real problem for me on one system. Most of the time I just get slowdowns and sluggishness after 3-4 hours without a relaunch of X. On every different machine I use.

FWIW - my son has experienced similar issues with Logic Pro X during music tracking (recording) on a new MP 8-core, but after about 5-6 hours. Maybe something endemic in the OS or the underlying a/v media core.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 22, 2014 at 10:17:58 pm

Nope. Just 2012 i7 iMac with 32gigs. Depends on what you're doing. Working in an 8 cam multicam and I'm relaunching every hour or so. If you're working with mObject or motion templates and plugs, it's pretty similar. But cuts and dissolves really doesn't ever big down.

But in this particular beach ball I could see a loop happening as the ball spun. Every couple seconds it's was eating another half gig until it crashed.

I don't see these issues in motion. They should use motions architecture for X. I know they share a render engine, but Motions responsiveness and real time capabilities is actually enjoyable.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 22, 2014 at 11:20:01 pm

[Bret Williams] "Working in an 8 cam multicam and I'm relaunching every hour or so."

Yes, I would think that will exacerbate the issue.

[Bret Williams] " If you're working with mObject or motion templates and plugs"

I'm of the growing opinion, that the more templates and plug-ins that are installed, the more unstable the software becomes. This applies across the board, not just FCP X, however, FCP X has the somewhat unique issue of the templates. To some extent, this is like Dynamic Link between PPro and AE.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 23, 2014 at 2:15:48 am

I would agree to some extent, but from keeping an eye on resources used, it really doesn't make much of a difference until they're in the timeline or you start mousing over them. Once you start mousing over them or scrubbing them, I think it's like launching a motion project for each one in the background. X caches them up in RAM for performance sake ( kinda has to I guess, but not the thumbs in the fx browser) and it doesn't efficiently let go of that RAM. From what I see you could open a ton of libraries, but until you open up the filmstrip view of an event, that library makes little difference on ram and performance. But performance seems to be directly linked to available free RAM. All very unscientific of course. Surely there's a better way though. FCP legacy did fairly well with 4 gigs MAX. The main difference would be the fx and browser thumbnails and filmstrips. Skimming must suck it up as well, but skimming seems to perform even when low on memory.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]