FORUMS: list search recent posts

Roundtrip from FCPx to Davinci Resolve 11

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian McLaren
Roundtrip from FCPx to Davinci Resolve 11
on Aug 21, 2014 at 11:17:36 pm

I have the FCPx Library on an external drive — the project is about a terrabyte and the internal drive in the new Mac Pro is only 1TB.

I exported and XML from FCPx to the same external drive. Resolve 11 will import the the XML but it can't find the clips. It asks if I want to try another folder — I open the external drive and it only shows the Library dimmed out; no import. I tried "Show Package Contents" on the FCPx Library but when I go back to that same import dialog, it still only shows the whole Library.

Is there a way to go roundtrip from FCPx to Davinci Resolve 11?

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
Re: Roundtrip from FCPx to Davinci Resolve 11
on Aug 21, 2014 at 11:36:10 pm

If you're using a managed library (media is stored inside the library) then you will need to copy the media somewhere that Resolve can access it. Any time you are planning on sharing your media with another application it pays to set your project to use external media rather than managed media.

Your best option now is to change your project settings and move the media to folders outside of the library.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Brian McLaren
on Aug 22, 2014 at 12:40:01 am

Thanks for the reply. When moving the media files outside the Library, do I just use the finder to move them outside the Library? or is there a command in FCPx or something I need to do first?

Will moving the files outside the Library mess up anything I've done so far?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 22, 2014 at 3:02:00 am

It's changed in 10.1.2+. Highlight the Library. The inspector will switch to your Library Properties. Click Modify Settings, then choose where you want your media from the pull down. To select somewhere new, select choose and create/naviagate to the folder of your choice. Hit ok and then click the consolidate button. it will MOVE the files out of the library and into the folder. If it's the same drive it's pretty much instant.

You can also use the same method to consolidate them back into the library. However it will only COPY them back into the library. It has no way of knowing if others are using that external media, so it plays it safe.

Return to posts index

Brian McLaren
on Aug 22, 2014 at 3:18:21 am

Thanks, I appreciate the step-by-step instructions.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 22, 2014 at 12:36:48 am

Got some FCPX to Resolve workflow testing going on here:

http://www.fcpworks.com/resolve-workflow-test-results/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Brian McLaren