FORUMS: list search recent posts

Assistance needed. My only project copy is on an external hard drive

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
improv58@yahoo.com Passadino
Assistance needed. My only project copy is on an external hard drive
on Aug 21, 2014 at 3:13:56 am

Help! I have a project on an external hard drive but it is not backed up anywhere... it is 1.7 terabytes of data including the raw data files. In other words I am editing on my external hard drive.

What is the best way to back up this data to a second external hard drive and then keep that second external hard drive backup in sync with the primary external hard drive as I continue to edit.

This is 50 hours worth of work. (I don't have enough space on my mac hard drive)

I am using external hard drives only. No, they are not raid. They are cheap western digital drives. I didn't realize this was happening... I had my settings wrong apparently and have one copy of my project only.

Thanks so much!

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
Re: Assistance needed. My only project copy is on an external hard drive
on Aug 21, 2014 at 3:32:46 am

There are several ways to accomplish a backup, personally I have an identical drive that is backed up every 3 hours using Carbon Copy Cloner.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Assistance needed. My only project copy is on an external hard drive
on Aug 21, 2014 at 6:52:16 pm

Your project (library) should be backed up on your internal by default. And that's just the data. No media. No thumbs, no stabilization files, no proxys, nothing. Very small files. Backs up every 20min.

So, with that in mind, you're pretty safe if your media is backed up somewhere else. And that just depends on what kind of a project it is. If it's just camera media and the FCP X project, then you're good if you still have the camera cards or a backup of the camera cards (like the drive you put the files on at the shoot to bring back to the suite).

But if you're like me, you also have music files, AE renders, motion projects, PSD files, AI files, etc. So in the above case you'd want them backed up as well. You could copy them to another drive every evening. If they're small enough, maybe you just copy them to the computer hard drive as a temporary solution until the job is finished and then you archive.

When completed I archive to a simple mirrored raid just the files necessary to reconstitute the project. Original camera files (if we shot the project) are duped to another cheap drive somewhere and stored off site, as well as on a drive here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]