<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Logan
Choppy Audio Timeline Playback
on Aug 20, 2014 at 3:35:09 pm

Mac Pro (mid 2010)
Mavericks 10.9.4
FCPX 10.1.2
Panasonic FZ200 w/64GB card

Thank you in advance for any shared thoughts on this!

Here's a link to a video example of the choppy audio:
http://reels.creativecow.net/film/choppy-audio-example

Attached are three screenshots:
- clip audio settings in FCPX
http://f1.creativecow.net/7889/clip-audio-settings-in-fcpx?uploaded=file

project audio settings in FCPX
http://f1.creativecow.net/7890/fcpx-project-info?uploaded=file

"Get Info" on affected clip using Quicktime 7
http://f1.creativecow.net/7891/quicktime-7-get-info-on-clip?uploaded=file

Possible clues:
- when first noticing the choppy audio I discovered that the sample rate of my audio in the timeline and that of the project differed. All my audio clips were at 44.1kHz but the project itself was set at 48kHz. I corrected the mismatch by changing the project's audio sample rate to 44.1kHz (see screenshots), but the choppiness remains.
- when I play the choppy clips in the timeline I can hear the hard-drive working harder than normal to process the playback.
- not all the clips in the timeline are affected by the choppiness

Again, thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Choppy Audio Timeline Playback
on Aug 20, 2014 at 3:46:06 pm

What kind of hard drive is it playing off of? That's a pretty heavy data rate. Also the data rate sounds odd- few cameras today record at 44.1. 48 is the norm. Perhaps you need to re-import the footage.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Scott Logan
on Aug 20, 2014 at 3:58:43 pm

The drives are Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache.

I'm quite sure the drives are fine. It's my blissful ignorance that has me in a quagmire. I have a mess here with audio and video out of sync, etc. It all began with me needing to rewrap my footage because my camera and FCPX aren't compatible. Everything has been a cluster since.

I'll do as you suggest Noah and reimport the footage... this time when rewrapping I'll be sure my audio sample rate is at 48.

Thank you!!

Scott

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 20, 2014 at 4:18:00 pm

Hmm- that camera shoots H.264 doesn't it? Should it be importable directly into X?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Scott Logan
on Aug 20, 2014 at 8:48:09 pm

Yes Noah, my camera records both AVCHD and MP4 (H.264). I've always recorded using AVCHD because I was under the impression that it's higher quality than MP4— but I can't utilize the AVCHD footage without first rewrapping it... a real drag. Based on what I'm seeing in my camera's manual it looks like I'd have no problem working with MP4 (H.264) in FCPX— but what kind of a reduction in quality can I expect compared to using rewrapped AVCHD footage? Any idea?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 20, 2014 at 11:48:35 pm

I don't have that camera so I can't say for sure. Does its archive not show up at all in the Import window for FCPX?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Scott Logan
on Aug 21, 2014 at 2:16:27 am

Here's what my import window looks like with the SD card in the card reader, Noah:

http://f1.creativecow.net/7892/import-window?uploaded=file

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 21, 2014 at 2:20:43 am

Oh yeah that's one of those cameras that requires a 3rd party app: http://www.transfermyvideofiles.com/import-fz200-1080p60-avchd-to-fcpx/

Any chance you could upgrade? A Panasonic GH4 for example would make your life 10X easier...

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Aug 21, 2014 at 12:38:19 am

It is not obvious that MP4 would be lower quality. Does the camera manual tell the bit rate for each? My Canon XA20 can do either and both are H.264 and same bit rate. They look the same in FCPX. Using MP4 the Canon has more options, like undercranking and true overcranking.

Return to posts index

Scott Logan
on Aug 21, 2014 at 2:43:42 am

The camera manual includes nothing about bit rates. It does say, however, that MP4 is half the FPS of AVCHD, at 30. It also says the following in distinguishing the two formats:

AVCHD Progressive
The PSH in AVCHD is a mode that allows motion pictures to be recorded at 1920x1080/60P, the highest quality that complies with the AVCHD standard. Select this format to record (HD) high definition motion pictures for playback on your HDTV using an HDMI connection.

MP4
This is a simpler video format best used when extensive editing is needed, or when uploading videos to the internet. Select this format to record standard definition motion pictures for playback on your PC.

So, it sure looks like MP4 is inferior to AVCHD, at least on my camera.

Thank you, Claude!

Return to posts index

Claude Lyneis
on Aug 21, 2014 at 3:58:10 am

I agree with you. One other thing is to record small segments, load them onto your hard drive. If Quicktime Player will open them it will give the codec and the bit rate. Although I think you already have the answer about the AVCHD 60P.
Claude

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 21, 2014 at 5:09:02 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Aug 21, 2014 at 5:10:20 pm

Most cameras that shoot both MP4 and AVCHD reserve the higher bitrates for AVCHD. Although it does seem counterintuitive that the MP4 is the one recommended for 'extensive editing'. I imagine that's one of those camera manual mis-transliterations.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]