FORUMS: list search recent posts

Putting together a Mac Pro workstation using FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt DeGennaro
Putting together a Mac Pro workstation using FCPX
on Aug 18, 2014 at 4:00:59 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for any tips on putting together a new Mac Pro workstation that would utilize FCPX.

I'm just learning that for the past few years I've been doing things "wrong" in my workflow - like editing from one drive that I use for storage. In the past, I've just edited on an older model iMac and one G-Raid drive - and now I have the opportunity to do two large projects and the means to purchase a decent setup.

I've never really learned proper workflow and am interested in putting something together similar to this:
http://www.g-technology.com/pro
but am concerned about spending any money before I know exactly what the hell I'm doing.

I've searched for a video tutorial for building a workstation, but no dice.

any help in putting together a Mac Pro workstation 101?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Putting together a Mac Pro workstation using FCPX
on Aug 18, 2014 at 4:58:44 pm
Last Edited By Noah Kadner on Aug 18, 2014 at 4:59:13 pm

Hi Matt-

What sort of footage are you typically working with? i.e. is it 1080p H.264 from DSLRs or is it 4K RED RAW? Those details make a critical difference in the sort of system and storage you'd need in order to achieve optimal performance with FCPX.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Matt DeGennaro
on Aug 18, 2014 at 5:06:40 pm

thanks for replying Noah.

Generally I will be working with 1080p H.264.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 18, 2014 at 5:10:50 pm

And would it be multiple streams- i.e. multicam events with 2 or more cameras or single camera shot-to-shot continuity editing?

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Matt DeGennaro
on Aug 18, 2014 at 5:27:01 pm

Mainly single camera shot-to-shot.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 18, 2014 at 5:48:23 pm

In that case I'd recommend spending more of your budget on a higher end Mac Pro, such as the 8 or 12 core loaded up with RAM and less on the storage. You'd get by fine with a Thunderbolt G-RAID and not the beefier Enterprise class solutions on the page you linked to which are better suited to multiple streams at higher data rates and resolutions than 1080p/H.264.

You need transcoding/processing speed for H.264 more than fast storage as you're only dealing with a single stream of relatively low data date. Also, the more beefy the Mac Pro you get now, the longer it will last you as formats increase and system requirements raise over the years. (Shameless plug: the company I work with, FCPWORKS has these sorts of turnkey systems in stock with FCPX workflow consultation included. If you're interested in putting together a system ready to roll, drop me a line through the link in my signature below).

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]