FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slowing down and stopping gradually and naturally

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Worley
Slowing down and stopping gradually and naturally
on Aug 15, 2014 at 8:40:51 am

Shooting a static sculpture and background, the cameraman went panning past where I would have liked him to slow down and stop. Is there a way I can gradually slow down the pan and then freeze the frame so it will look natural? I have tried a few things but it looks phony because I can't figure out a way of gradually and naturally ramping down the speed.

I'd appreciate some ideas.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Slowing down and stopping gradually and naturally
on Aug 15, 2014 at 1:37:54 pm

Add a hold frame. Shift H. You can control the easing into it.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 15, 2014 at 1:55:45 pm

I would suggest setting a "Hold Frame" (⇧H) at the point where you'd like the shot to stop, then simply edit the speed transition between the moving video and the hold frame to your liking. Double click the handle of the hold frame to create the transition. Also be sure to set the video quality to "Optical Flow", in the hope that there is not too much camera movement for it to look good. If so, then you can in fact create a pretty amazing effect.

For anything beyond that you'd have to go to Motion. But even then, how good it in fact looks all depends on the footage itself.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 15, 2014 at 3:57:46 pm

[Dan Worley] "Is there a way I can gradually slow down the pan and then freeze the frame so it will look natural?"

The answer is no, not really. The problem is: as you approach a still (your stopping point), the slow-motion becomes harder and harder to interpolate. The program has to guess too much about nonexisting frames. Some of this can be smoothed out with optical flow but you'll never get it to look like a natural pan and stop. Particularly because still images have a different quality to them than moving video.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 15, 2014 at 4:45:45 pm

[Andy Neil] "the slow-motion becomes harder and harder to interpolate."

This, again, is very relative to the actual material you're applying the effect to. I have had shots that literally couldn't have been distinguished from actual high-speed shots after slowing them with optical flow applied. So it's always worth a try. Just don't expect magic.

But then you also might want to just "Blade Speed" and set the second segment to something around 10-20% and just cut out at the desired point to maintain more of a "moving" effect, rather than just a still to end on.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Aug 15, 2014 at 5:06:42 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "I have had shots that literally couldn't have been distinguished from actual high-speed shots after slowing them with optical flow applied."

You can get decent quality slo-mo from a traditionally shot video, but it will NEVER look like a natural pan and stop done by a camera op. It will still look like an effect. OP is looking for something that looks like a natural stop to a pan and I'm telling you (and him) it won't ever look natural. That doesn't mean you can't apply a slo-to freeze effect and get decent interpolation out of it, just don't expect it to look like it was shot that way.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 15, 2014 at 5:52:18 pm

I already said "don't expect magic", yes. But I have in fact been able to get amazing results from speed ramping footage even down to 10 or less percent with optical flow, but mostly from within Motion, not FCP, where you have a tad more control. Only a trained eye could tell the difference. In fact is was mixed in with actual Phantom footage and no one suspected a thing.

I'm just saying give it a shot and see what you think. It could work great, but it could look horrid. It's the best if not only shot you have.

Return to posts index

Dan Worley
on Aug 15, 2014 at 8:07:12 pm

Thanks very much for the replies, folks. I now have a better idea of what to expect, and I'm going to try different things. I like the idea of slowing down without a complete stop. That might work for me. I do have Motion but it intimidates me and I haven't learned how to use it yet. Right now, FCPX is enough of a challenge for me.

Appreciate the help. Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]