FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compund clips

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Hudson
Compund clips
on Aug 14, 2014 at 6:51:24 pm

I made a project and used a compound clip (called: main shots) as the main story line. Then I want to use that project as the
starting point of a cut down.
If I :
A. duplicate the project - but then any changes to the CC "Main shots" effect all projects using it. therefore it messes up my original project.

B. duplicate as snapshot - no longer do changes to "Main shots" effect other instances but there is no CC in my event to match this newer version!
as there was when I first made it.

I want the actions of B but shouldn't I get a new compound clip- or a way to now save the new compound clip new name and all.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Compund clips
on Aug 14, 2014 at 7:34:17 pm

[David Hudson] "I want the actions of B but shouldn't I get a new compound clip- or a way to now save the new compound clip new name and all."

Duplicate the CC. Select it and choose "Reference New Parent Clip" from the Clip menu. Find in Event (use a smart collection looking for CC's if you don't already) Rename it. Done. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on Aug 14, 2014 at 8:15:25 pm

Ok I made the project copy and renamed that.
Selected the compound clip in the project and in CLIP menu selected "ref new parent clip"
the CC is now NAME copy. But there is no new CC in the event. I have a smart col for CCs not in there

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 14, 2014 at 7:38:34 pm

Ah, the famous compound clip shuffle. ; )

My opinion: Using Compound Clips like you used nested clips in a prior NLE is a pretty bad idea. They're different than that. They're special. But it's your call.

That said,..

If you want to bring the compound clip reflection (the auto created clip in the Event Browser) back into a new storyline. Use the Reference New Parent Clip command in the Clip menu. It will break the links from one compound to it's original parent and let you change stuff without that being reflected back up to the event browser.

But honestly, The BEST way (IMO) to think of X is a system where you do ALL your prep - including identifying selects and tagging them - in the Event Browser.

Doing so will mean that when you get to a storyline, you will hardly ever need to do alternate timeline assemblies using pseudo tracks to re-create the way you might have worked in non-databse driven system before X. Magnetism means that if you get scene position wrong, you can just fix it with a drag.

And trying to pre-edit in Connected Storylines without just using the Primary as it's intended seems like it's just making extra work that's not needed.

But only you know how you need to edit.

So I hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Hudson
on Aug 14, 2014 at 8:19:29 pm

hmmm, I did the CC so that I could apply several effects to all the clips uniformly (made a defocused bar, and added a vignette)
What approach might you have used here?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 14, 2014 at 10:05:17 pm

[David Hudson] "What approach might you have used here?"

That's a perfectly good choice. Using an adjustment layer would be another option.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 14, 2014 at 11:27:29 pm

As would simply applying the adjustments to one clip to get it to your liking, then select and command-c that one clip, selecting the target clips either via command click or highlighting them in the timeline index and using the Paste Attributes command to apply the same changes to all the clips where the adjustments are needed.

I'm not saying what you're doing is wrong. What I AM saying is that as you discovered, a compound clip has other aspects that can make it more complex to work with (like the need to break apart the round trip reporting quality that I addressed earlier.

I like simplicity. I also like batch application to a group via paste attributes, since many times, if conditions are changing as the clips are shot, I may need to tweak the adjustment clip by clip. Useful tools such as compounding and even applying Adjustment layers make that marginally more difficult, not easier, IMO.

So I start with the simplest technique. Which to my thinking is batch pasting of attributes.

YMMV.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 14, 2014 at 7:39:04 pm

[David Hudson] "I want the actions of B but shouldn't I get a new compound clip- or a way to now save the new compound clip new name and all."

Actually, a second "old" compound IS created. Only invisibly, since otherwise you'd have a copy of every compound clip for every snapshot of every project, which would be annoying to say the least. An instance of the "old" one is actually created (i.e. made visible if you will) if you make any changes to it in the snapshot. Otherwise you could of course simply use the "Reference New Parent Clip" command. Which is more of less the same as duplicating the compound in the event only from the timeline.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]