FORUMS: list search recent posts

New to Final cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Clark
New to Final cut
on Aug 13, 2014 at 2:30:25 pm

Hi

I’m new to final cut and video in general. I come from a music production background so a lot of the stuff relates, especially running a healthy computer so I’m OK to a point but I don’t really know if I’m using the footage in the correct way with regards to frame rates and any other stuff I don’t even know about yet so I could do with a few pointers if possible?

At the this stage I’m just looking to chop up what I have and move it into position on the timeline. I can do that and I’m ok with what the tools do.

The footage was shot on a red scarlet at 25fps and I’m editing in final cut pro x. As it stands, when I try to play the footage in FCPX it is stuttering and jumping. I’m not sure if this down to settings or whether the computer isn’t fast enough [though i would have thought it is, details below]

In red cine there is an option to playback at 1/4, 1/8 etc is that possible in Final cut whilst I’m editing.

Also, I have put quite a few markers in on red cine so is it possible to import those?

Anything else you can tell me I should be aware of would be much appreciated.

System is:

Mac pro quad 3ghz
17gb ram
500 gb system and software drive
1tb drive internal [containing all footage and nothing else on the drive]
1tb drive for anything else
Video card is ATI radeon HD 5770 [apple version]

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: New to Final cut
on Aug 13, 2014 at 6:29:29 pm

Hi Dave.

You're in the ideal situation for using a Proxy workflow.

When you import the Red files, makes sure both Optimize Media and Create Proxies are checked.

(you can also go back and do it after the fact if you're already imported without these.)

The big thing is to go up to the viewer and look for the small triangle at the right border next to the "switch" - click on the triangle and switch to Proxy mode.

If the media in your browse turns red and goes offline - then you haven't done Proxy encodes, so you'll have to do that. But when you have them, X should run very smoothly.

When you're ready to master the work, just switch back to Optimized and let X calculate your masters from these.

Hope that helps.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Dave Clark
on Aug 13, 2014 at 7:49:08 pm
Last Edited By Dave Clark on Aug 13, 2014 at 10:02:03 pm

Hi Bill

Yeah that helps loads, thanks very much.

The only thing I don't fully get is the part about proxy encodes. I am getting the red sign so I obviously haven't done it. How would I go about fixing that?

Also, am I better having the project and the footage on the same drive or would it better separate?

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 14, 2014 at 11:01:57 am

Generally better to run large projects with the Library on external drives so that the OS and the media aren't vying for the same pipes all the time. But X will do it if required.

You can create proxies during original import, or after the fact. Click the clips and go to File: Transcode Media. Also you can check in the Info tab under Video after highlighting a clip in the event browser and it will show you if Optimized or Proxy transcodes are available.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]