FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX using all 32GB RAM during export

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam chesbrough
FCPX using all 32GB RAM during export
on Aug 12, 2014 at 9:31:53 pm

Since I got FCPX back in the very beginning it would never come close to maxing out my RAM during export. Now it immediately bumps up to using all of it and only a small percentage of my CPU. When I export to youtube HD 1080 straight from FCPX the software crashes and says that my software has run out of RAM. I am running GTX670, i3930K (6 cores), and 32 GB of 1600Mhz RAM (which I just tested and pasted). I am going to assume that the mobo has no idea what is going on and is using my RAM at the wrong time in the wrong way.

Exporting via FCPX is a CPU and GPU intensive task there is no reason why my RAM usuage should be exploding like this (I would understand if I was using photoshop or other adobe suites).

Any thoughts, what are other experiences with a 6 core machine during export?

Macbook Pro Retina: 2.6GHZ i7, 16GB RAM 1600MHz DDR3, GT 650M 1GB RAM

Hackintosh (Sandy Bridge): i5 2500, 16GB 1333MHz DDR3, Nvidia GT640 2GB RAM

OWC 4TB RAID0 (using esata)
Tempo SATA Pro ExpressCard/34 (6Gb/s)
Echo ExpressCard Pro Thunderbolt Adapter

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: FCPX using all 32GB RAM during export
on Aug 13, 2014 at 9:36:47 am

Guess that's one of the many "perks" of using a hackintosh. Have 6 and 8 core machines that don't show any such symptoms.

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Aug 13, 2014 at 11:44:25 am

That comment is not a helpful response. I have been using this machine for years with a hiccup until now and I can assure you that the issue is easily fixable with a little help from the fcpx community.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 13, 2014 at 2:13:33 pm

How is it not helpful? Your question was "… what are other experiences with a 6 core machine during export?"... which I answered. I'm even working with 5K RED material at the moment, transcoding, exporting, doing one-lights etc. and watched my usage and didn't see anything go over maybe 10-12GB.

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Aug 13, 2014 at 2:36:54 pm

Apologies. Just thought you were giving me a hard time for using a hackintosh without adding any insight. Good to know that this is far from normal. Going to install the new mobo, should get everything back to normal.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 13, 2014 at 3:00:13 pm

Well, to be honest (and from personal experience), when running an "unqualified" machine one shouldn't be surprised at odd occurrences that don't happen otherwise. Tried hacks TWICE and the time spent with setting them up alone and then dealing with exactly this kind of inexplicable stuff never worked out to being in any way practical or worthwhile. Since then no one can tell me that Macs are "overpriced", because they just plain aren't. If anything, for a business, they're the exact opposite.

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Aug 13, 2014 at 3:05:55 pm

Well I disagree. This beast has been running like a dream for the past two years. It geek benches to 22k which equates to a 8-10k machine. So for those that dont have the budget and have the technical abilities to troubleshoot then hacks are the only way to get the performance.

I'm glad you love your macs and you should support those that love their hacks. And that rhymes... which is just nice

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 13, 2014 at 3:24:16 pm

Well, for me, the (alleged) savings stand in no relation to the (also, relatively speaking, alleged) performance gain. Which actually aren't that once you take issues e.g. like this into account. Of which there are (were) many. But hey... to each his own. ;)

[adam chesbrough] "for those that dont have the budget and have the technical abilities to troubleshoot"

A contradiction in terms if you ask me. Since, again from experience, if there's anything you need to run (and keep running) a Hackintosh, then it's extensive technical abilities. Certainly exponentially more than with a regular Mac.

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Aug 13, 2014 at 3:32:10 pm

That "have" the technical abilities... This conversation is over we are both wasting our time. Let's get back to work.

Would love to see that 5k project you're working on when it's complete. Never worked with 5k. I'm sure its amazing

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 13, 2014 at 3:35:27 pm

Actually, it's only 5K because the RED otherwise records cropped, not because it's actually needed. And of course there's nothing to be said against a little reframing freedom. ;)

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Aug 13, 2014 at 3:41:02 pm

Lot to be said! Have fun

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Aug 14, 2014 at 4:47:19 pm

Are you on a vanilla copy of FCPX? I've had a few projects where as soon as I'd enable one 3rd party effect (often BCC8 which isn't optimized for nMP) it would eat all 64GB on my machine. Other things worth attempting: Reboot, repair permissions, delete prefs, update CUDA (I've had weird behavior in Motion 5 when CUDA was too out of date on a rMBP), try Compressor. These are all simple maintenance type things, so please don't take offense if you've already tried all of them, I'm just letting you know the troubleshooting path I'd take. If none of those work, try moving the project to a new library or exporting and importing XML into a new one, could be Library/Project corruption.

Of course, it could also be a weird Hackintosh issue. A few years ago I was running a flashed Radeon 4970 in my Mac Pro 1,1 and when Apple dropped 10.6.4 it decimated my machine. After that I've stuck with official products.

FCP X Certified Pro, Level Two

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 14, 2014 at 4:52:07 pm

[Nicholas Zimmerman] "I've had weird behavior in Motion 5 when CUDA was too out of date on a rMBP"

Especially seeing that no rMBP (that I know of) even has an Nvidia GPU to begin with, I'm not sure why you'd even want a CUDA driver either way. Simply removing it could actually be an even better solution. ;-D

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Aug 14, 2014 at 4:54:43 pm

Most of the rMBP with discreet cards are Nvidia. I've got a Late 2013 15" rMBP with a discreet Gefore 750M, so deleting Cuda wouldn't be a great idea.

FCP X Certified Pro, Level Two

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 14, 2014 at 5:14:29 pm

Ah. My bad. Was thinking *nMP*. But then the drivers are updated with the OS, so I'm not sure that manually updating is exactly necessary (or even recommended) on Macs with standard Nvidia GPUs. As you say yourself, that can obviously introduce unexpected performance issues/bugs. But who knows. I've never needed it myself for my MBPs. ;)

Return to posts index

Nicholas Zimmerman
on Aug 14, 2014 at 5:25:13 pm

I'm not sure if CUDA gets updated by the OS updates or not. You're 100% correct about the display drivers, but CUDA's got it's own set of drivers that seem to be out of date every time I check them in the System Preferences (just checked and even now they've got a new update up that I'm installing). The issue I was mentioning was after the latest Motion 5 update, we were working 2 up in Motion and the screens would stop updating, even when active. My buddy and I both had the same problem on our rMBPs (2012 & late 2013) and after we both updated CUDA everything worked fine. I'm not sure how much CUDA vanilla Motion actually uses, but we had a few third party plugins running too.

NickZimmerman.net

Certified in FCPX, Logic Pro X, & Motion 5

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 14, 2014 at 5:42:33 pm

[Nicholas Zimmerman] "but CUDA's got it's own set of drivers that seem to be out of date every time I check them in the System Preferences (just checked and even now they've got a new update up that I'm installing)."

Yes, but then those are GENERAL drivers, not GPU specific (unlike the OS drivers). They are updated with any and every change to the GPU line up. Just because they need updating doesn't mean they are necessarily relevant to your specific GPU. But hey, if it works... :)

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Aug 14, 2014 at 5:25:45 pm

Thanks Nicholas and Robin. I have tried all the basics with no results:
-delete prefrs
-moving to another library, disk, project etc

Before I do anything drastic I think you are right on with removing all FCPX suites and installing only the necessary plugins. For this project the main plugins I am running are magic bullet suites and LUT utility (all of which are updated). As for CUDA, I am running a GTX670 which utilizes CUDA especially with the adobe suites, so I am going to hold onto that (but good suggestion to see what uninstalling CUDA would do and that is something that I will definitely try). There are other graphics cards kexts out there that I can try last.

As a last resort I am going to switch to a new motherboard and see if the board is what is giving me issues.

The thing that is strange is that the system flys and then starts to slow down the longer that I run FCPX. I thought it was a bluetooth issue as with the bluetooth dongle plugged in I am unable to run boot flags via USB keyboard (in order to boot to safe mode, which actually solves the problem intermittently), which got me thinking that something is wrong with the mobo since I have never seen that issue in any of my numerous hacks. These last steps are hackintosh things so will probably for a different form. The system is sandy bridge so it might all come down to the fact that I have gotten three great years out of this system and it might be time to change the mobo and CPU to haswell and beyond. Going to take an afternoon to try and figure this out though.

Chances are that the next iteration of FCPX would fix the issue, but then again it might make things even worse...

I will go through the troubleshooting steps this afternoon and report back what I find out

Thanks again all

Return to posts index

adam chesbrough
on Aug 14, 2014 at 8:50:19 pm

So I went nuts and reinstalled everything, disabled plugins etc. The issue is with the way that the OSX is dealing with the "file cache". Apparently mavericks got really aggressive when it comes to file cache and only releases it when it is needed. in reality the exports are only using at 5-6GB of RAM but it is not dumping the file cache. So...the RAM is available and normally this doesn't even effect system performance. I have had FCPX crash during long exports because it seems that the os doesn't know when to dump the RAM.

Therefore, this is certainly a problem within my personal hack or with certain drives that are installed. Im going to take this to the hackintosh boards. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]