FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mount Library on Maxx Digital SAN

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Brown
Mount Library on Maxx Digital SAN
on Aug 12, 2014 at 5:57:40 pm

So, I have project files (libraries) on our SAN and I'm using FCPX 10.1.2 for an occasional project. (mostly using Premier)

I had to have Bob Zelin setup the ability to mount the SAN through NFS and I've been able to open project files and it works OK. It's great if you just stay inside FCPX, but if you need to navigate the san folder structure or do any file manipulation, it's a bit messy.

Well, I had my san mounted traditionally (AFP) and then opened FCPX and it opened a project file from the SAN. This normally doesn't happen, it usually just ignores projects I had opened like the volume is unmounted. I revealed some files in finder and everything seemed to be working fine.

I closed the library and tried to reopen and got the message about the volume type not being supported.

Is there a way to trick the software? Any chance this gets resolved anytime soon? I'd love to implement FCPX into our workflow...it's a superior piece of software for the corporate projects we do in many ways.

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
Re: Mount Library on Maxx Digital SAN
on Aug 12, 2014 at 6:39:56 pm

I'd be careful doing this.
I've heard a lot of people talk about file locking, but few apps actually do it. FCP X is one that does.
It uses NFS locking via rpc.lockd to actually lock the library. No telling what will happen if you open it in NFS, close FCP, mount with AFP and reopen. I'd be worried something will get dorked if another user comes along and opens it.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 12, 2014 at 6:57:59 pm

And heaven help you if you want to render After Effects directly to the server over NFS. Hope you saved your work first!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Aug 12, 2014 at 7:52:58 pm

I'm really curious about this After Effects comment. Does NFS not work with After Effects? I haven't heard any complaints. I'd like to understand this.

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 12, 2014 at 7:53:53 pm

Every time I've tried rendering to a drive mounted via NFS After Effects freezes.

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Aug 12, 2014 at 8:00:12 pm

Usually, when I see NFS freeze (or applications using it freeze) it was related to rpc.lockd not running. I was fooling around with NFS v4 (which has its own internal locking) and I was hanging stuff up all over the place. Our TZ systems all have rpc.lockd running and so far we haven't had any trouble.

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Aug 12, 2014 at 9:32:12 pm

That makes sense - we're just running a basic NAS.

Steve, I do have one question for your brain. Any ideas why our NAS drive repeatedly switches to invisible several times a week? The drive is still there, but will just grey out. This has followed us with different arrays, different controller macs, and both Areca and ATTO cards. We're at a loss. My guess is because all of the components have changed and it still occurs, this is coming from OS X. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Aug 13, 2014 at 12:41:28 am

Apple had a bug with their SMB implementation a while back where it would not work immediately after boot. You had to restart it (unshare, then share) and it would work. Frustrating stuff.

What's odd here is that it's greyed out. That means bon jour sees it. How does Finder know to make it grey? I can't say I've ever seen that. What if you login as another user (clean preferences)

Steve Modica

Return to posts index

Tim Jones
on Aug 12, 2014 at 7:03:48 pm

I agree with Steve - this is the primary reason why only NFS works for this type of sharing and AFP or CIFS don't. You really should only mount that volume via NFS.
"It's great if you just stay inside FCPX, but if you need to navigate the san folder structure or do any file manipulation, it's a bit messy."

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If you use NFS to mount a volume on your Mac, it should show up just like any other mounted volume. If it's not showing up on the Desktop because of its mount point, you can still use the Cmd-Shift-G (Goto Folder) shortcut in Finder.

Tim
--
Tim Jones
CTO - TOLIS Group, Inc.
http://www.productionbackup.com
BRU ... because it's the RESTORE that matters!

Return to posts index

Jason Brown
on Aug 12, 2014 at 8:30:48 pm

Yes, it mounts fine and does seem to work correctly. By messy, I mean that dragging and dropping is sluggish and the responsiveness outside of the NLE is not like AFP. Also saving a PSD file from photoshop gives a "creating preview" error. Nothing catastrophic, just "a bit messy" like I said :)

Any chance this gets addressed anytime soon? Is my Maxx Digital SAN unlike other media SAN's? Aren't other people trying to collaborate having the same issue? Why can't it open project files from AFP volumes?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]