FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some issues between FCPX and Resolve

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Mena
Some issues between FCPX and Resolve
on Aug 10, 2014 at 7:36:58 pm

A couple of issues I've come across with FCPX 10.2 and Resolve 11 Full.

1. When sending a FCPXML to Resolve I've noticed that Syncronized clips timecode is off. While all normal clips seem to be fine. Generally the timecode is way off and offset is not consistent between clips. Anyone experience this and figured out a solution for handling synced clips from FCPX to resolve.

2. I finished a grade and used the FCPX roundtrip xml setting from resolve. I opened the xml on my system. Clips all came in fine with no problems. I placed the xml and clips on a separate drive to hand over to my editor. When he opened the XML it brought all clips in as black frames with a .mxf extension. I can't figure out why the xml opened correctly on my system and not his. Our work around was to simply export an FCPXML from my system to his. Which worked correctly. So why didn't the resolve XML work?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

thanks, j

Jordan Mena | Editor | Colorist | Producer
Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Some issues between FCPX and Resolve
on Aug 11, 2014 at 4:22:41 pm

[Jordan Mena] "1. When sending a FCPXML to Resolve I've noticed that Syncronized clips timecode is off. While all normal clips seem to be fine. Generally the timecode is way off and offset is not consistent between clips. Anyone experience this and figured out a solution for handling synced clips from FCPX to resolve."

This makes sense as synchronized clips changed a ton in FCP 10.1.2. I'd file this to Blackmagic and let them know. Syncrhonized clips never used to contain tc, but rather, everything started at the zero hour.

[Jordan Mena] " I placed the xml and clips on a separate drive to hand over to my editor. When he opened the XML it brought all clips in as black frames with a .mxf extension. I can't figure out why the xml opened correctly on my system and not his. Our work around was to simply export an FCPXML from my system to his. Which worked correctly. So why didn't the resolve XML work?"

This doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Sounds like gremlins.

What is the source of your footage? Is it even MXF media?

Did you try consolidating the sequence with media to a new library and sending that over?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Aug 11, 2014 at 5:32:30 pm

The original files were .mxf the editor optimized the media to prores for his edit. I then went back to the .mxf files for color. We are both on the same version of FCPX so i don't know why the xml didn't link up properly. Our work around was to just give him the xml out of FCPX from when it opened properly on my system. Also, i which I had seen this 2 weeks ago.

http://www.fcpworks.com/resolve-workflow-test-results/

- j

Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 11, 2014 at 5:51:40 pm

Are you using an MXF component that isn't on the other machine?

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Aug 11, 2014 at 5:52:19 pm

Not sure.

Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 11, 2014 at 5:59:31 pm

If you can read .mxf files, there's a chance you have something like MXF4mac or Calibrated MXF software installed.

This would explain the black frames with .mxf extension on the other machine, as they may not have the same software installed.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Aug 12, 2014 at 5:31:11 am

That would make sense. I am running davinci resolve full and definitely can read .mxf. The weird thing is my XML from resolve pointed my prores444 media that I rendered. So why did my editors computer think it needed to point to .mxf?

Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 12, 2014 at 11:28:35 am

I'm curious why you feel you need to go back to the MXF files for color correction of all things? Since those will most likely be *worse* for grading than the optimized.

Return to posts index

Jordan Mena
on Aug 12, 2014 at 6:31:42 pm

I actually didn't have any issues with the MXF files in Resolve. Grade went smoothly and Picture looked great.

Los Angeles, CA
jordanmena.com

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 13, 2014 at 9:08:52 am

I'm not saying it's a bad idea per se. I'm sure it was fine. I just thought it was interesting that you have the better colorspace, less overhead needing transcoded versions (that's assuming it's a long GOP format and/or not 4:2:2) and chose to go back to the originals after all. :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 12, 2014 at 3:52:02 pm

[Jordan Mena] "So why did my editors computer think it needed to point to .mxf?
"

Can you tell me your ingest and output pipeline?

Where did the project start and with what type of media?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]