FORUMS: list search recent posts

a red line over the clips in the clip browser and share menu greyed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jean mathis
a red line over the clips in the clip browser and share menu greyed
on Aug 8, 2014 at 10:40:46 pm

I have the following problems in FCPRO X 10.1,
I imported XMF clips from a panasonic P2 and I have a thin red line appearing on top the clips in the clip browser. Additionally I cannot export my timeline although the P2 clips read fine in the timeline.

Here is the picture.

7843_grey.tiff.zip

Thanks for cluing me in.
Jean

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: a red line over the clips in the clip browser and share menu greyed
on Aug 8, 2014 at 11:50:17 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Aug 8, 2014 at 11:51:43 pm

Hi Jean,

In the X interface, the red line usually denotes a clip that's been tagged as REJECTED. To check, twirl down the disclose triangle for the selected clip and see if the REJECTED tag shows.

If so, select the clip and tap U to Unrate it - and the red line will go away.

MXF (not XMF) files, will typically read into X, but there may be an issue with the codec. Did you do a ProRes transcode? (Make optimized media) Can you play and edit with them as they are? If so, then they're being read by X and the export issue is something different.

As to export, you didn't show the part of the dashboard that has the render progress HUD, so perhaps your imported content is still being processed in the background?

Worst case, sometimes export problems come up when the import process don't go properly. If X is doing work "under the hood" export might become available if you just wait a bit and let things render in the background.

Or you might have to re-import.

Just some ideas.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 9, 2014 at 10:56:10 am

The one has nothing to do with the other, in case that's what you were thinking. The red line, as already stated, merely indicates a "rejected" clip, which is done by selecting it and hitting the delete key. So you probably tried deleting it, only THAT is done with CMD-DELETE. It is just the opposite of a "Favorite", so for the sake of organization within the event. Hit CTRL-H (i.e. "Hide Rejected") and it will disappear.

One would need to know what error message you are getting when it comes to the export. As they say, "doesn't work" isn't a useful or constructive error description.

Return to posts index

jean mathis
on Aug 9, 2014 at 8:45:55 pm

Dear Robin,

"One would need to know what error message you are getting when it comes to the export. As they say, "doesn't work" isn't a useful or constructive error description."

This should be answered if you read the title of the post (share menu greyed) it's hard to be more accurate
I guess.
;-)

Thanks to you and Bill for making it clear they the red line had nothing to do with this.
I reimported the whole thing and transcoded it.
Now it works. Is that " a useful solved error description"?
I guess yes..

Thanks a million to both of you.
Jean

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 10, 2014 at 11:29:10 am

[jean mathis] "This should be answered if you read the title of the post (share menu greyed) it's hard to be more accurate I guess."

You're right. My bad and apologies.

But the share menu having been greyed out can't actually have had anything to do with reimporting the material. That will most likely simply have meant that you had the wrong window active when you pulled the menu. E.g. the Event viewer and not the Project timeline. This can ironically easily happen *on your way to the menu* by passing over the event too slowly, therewith shifting the focus to it. Has happened to me (too) many times in the past also. Which is why I exclusively use the Share menu in the toolbar. It can't happen to you there. It's much closer anyway. :)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 11, 2014 at 1:08:47 pm

Only problem with the toolbar share menu is it's too narrow. I have quite a bit of custom presets with long names including the bit rate, size, codec, 1 or 2 pass, etc. but they're all abbreviated in the toolbar menu. FWIW you can share from the event window too, so I think likely he was still importing or transcoding.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 11, 2014 at 2:15:54 pm

[Bret Williams] "you can share from the event window too, so I think likely he was still importing or transcoding."

Actually, it wouldn't be greyed out, you'd just get an error message telling that footage is missing, so that couldn't be it either. Which was the reason for my original question, since I expected to hear that that is what he was getting.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]