FORUMS: list search recent posts

Project Lost, Disaster!!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shantel Kruger
Project Lost, Disaster!!!
on Aug 8, 2014 at 3:46:37 am

Hi there to all,

I have been a long time reader of your forum but never needed to post, since thanks to all of you I always found my answers here.
However, now I am in a big mess, and really need your help. I messed up a project I have been working for months. I work on FCPX 10.0.8 and I can't even tell you what I did exactly. I panicked when I saw that my project wouldn't open and did a lot of thinks that shouldn't.I think I moved files from an external HD to another (my project is in an external HD) both from FCP and the finder. I should have stopped when I couldn't open my project but totally panicked... sorry
In any case, now I still have all my events working properly, however my project seems to be corrupted. It was a compound file and when I double click on it it won't open. It shows the "missing event" red notice. And even when I click "modify event references" it says "the media for the selected item cannot be found, try connecting the storage device that contains the media or reimporting the media".
I tried to replace the backup project file for the current one, but no success. Both files are very light, around 131 kb. It's like if they were not linked to any event... Don't know what else I can do... Any ideas would be very appreciated!
Update: just ran Data Rescue and found quite a lot .fcpproject files. The biggest is 869 MB. But FCPX doesn't see it when I put it in the project folder.... And I tried the trial version of "project repair" from digital rebellion but doesn't work....

Thanks in advance,
Shantel

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
Re: Project Lost, Disaster!!!
on Aug 8, 2014 at 3:28:33 pm

Shantel,
First, take a deep breath. While its not impossible to lose work in X, it's pretty difficult.
Events going offline just means the links in the database are broken. And they're pretty easy to repair.
Start by launching the program itself, without any libraries or projects. if it opens, then the program isn't the issue. (if it IS re-install from a backup or re- download, but try not to since you are so many versions behind - you definitely don't need to add more complexity in this) then with the prgram running, launch the event/project. If It opens, then you just need to do what you should have done originally, Which is to pull out your original media and re-import the media with clean links. As long as you have even one fcpevent file that's OK you can get things back - and X saves "in progress" versions of this as you go.
So be calm and work one step at a time. Good luck.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]