FORUMS: list search recent posts

Losing HD video quality uploading to YouTube from FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Hendriksen
Losing HD video quality uploading to YouTube from FCPX
on Aug 2, 2014 at 9:12:29 pm

Hello everybody :)

I'm very much new to this website & the whole video-editing + camera technology thing. So, apologies upfront. But, one has to start somewhere, right?

I shot a video on my Canon Rebel T5i the other day and have been editing the video on Final Cut Pro X. I just finished editing the video and uploaded the video to YouTube by using the share button. I chose for the highest quality options possible and also the 'Better quality' rendering option rather than the 'Faster encode'' option.

However
, I've noticed major differences viewing my video on FCPX itself and on YouTube. Even though the video is set at 1080p on YouTube, it still looks much darker and from worse quality compared to its original content.

Is there any way that I can upload my YouTube videos in the best way possible without losing quality? I mean, what's the point of buying an HD quality camera if you can't even upload to YouTube in its original quality? Doesn't make sense to me.

I've only bought Final Cut Pro X and do not have Compressor, by the way. I'm using a Macbook Pro 13' Retina if anybody wants to know.

I've watched tons of YouTube videos and read lots of articles and can't seem to figure this out. Hopefully somebody can help me because this is driving me nuts.

Thank you very much in advance,

Regards,

Jay.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Losing HD video quality uploading to YouTube from FCPX
on Aug 3, 2014 at 6:33:39 pm

Are you using the share to YouTube setting? It's pretty straightforward.

You absolutely should not expect your YouTube video to look the same as your original. YouTube is going to recompress you video and optimize it for playback on their servers and to make it take up less space. But it should look pretty darn close. If your video was pretty dark in the first place, or you are using a monitor gamma that perhaps FCP supports but flash playback in Safari does not, then it's entirely possible the brightness would be different on YouTube.

I have a t4i I use mainly for family photos, but I did do one project in crappy lighting with it. My kids pinewood derby. I also used the iphone for some slomo. The video looked pretty much like it did on the iMac in x.

Return to posts index

Jay Hendriksen
on Aug 6, 2014 at 1:28:46 am

Hello! Thanks a lot for your reaction.

I didn't really realise YouTube would recompress everything but luckily I've found my own solution for my problem: I uploaded the same video twice, one where I chose the Better quality rendering option and the other one had the Faster encode rendering option. I saw significant differences and the Better quality looked about the same as my original video. It just takes much, much, much longer to upload my videos to YouTube. But, I suppose that's completely worth it. ;)

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Aug 6, 2014 at 3:44:27 am

It takes longer because the file is encoded at a much higher data rate and so you get a much bigger file. YT recommends using a data rate of 30mbps which makes big files and consequently longer upload times.

Return to posts index

Jay Hendriksen
on Aug 6, 2014 at 10:48:24 am

Yep. I realised the Better quality rendering option makes my file much bigger because my hard disk is clogged up with a huge video section. I suppose I should consider buying an external hard disk for my video editing projects

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]