FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to create multicam clip from GoPro footage using marker

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Wes Plate
Trying to create multicam clip from GoPro footage using marker
on Jul 31, 2014 at 4:13:05 am

I have two gopro cameras that recorded a rafting a trip. I am trying to create a multicam clip in FCPX 10.1.2. One camera is a GoPro 2 with no timecode and the other is a 3+ with TOD. I clapped to set a sync point and added a marker to each compound clip. But when making the multicam clip FCPX seems to be using timecode even though I have it set to markers.

Here I show what I'm doing in video, I hope it is clear what I'm describing...

This is a screenshot showing what the multicamera clip looks like...

Thank you for suggestions.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Trying to create multicam clip from GoPro footage using marker
on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:26:37 am

What you want to do first and foremost, is name both your cameras and the angles in the inspector for each group of clips. Then I would try NOT making compounds of all of them, but rather selecting them all INDIVIDUALLY and try synching them that way via audio synch. Or have you tried that, which is why you'r doing it the way you're doing it?

If you want to stick to doing it with compounds, you'll want to do the same with those two clips also (camera and angle name). Because FCP clearly is a) assuming they are both from the same camera/angle, which is why they end up in the same angle track, and then b) is probably going by the date/time stamp which is possibly way off (by 13 hours?)?

I would check the date/time stamp of each camera and correct any discrepancies first (in FCP), then do as I described above with the INDIVIDUAL clips and audio synch. I think you'll be surprised how cool that works! Especially since you clearly have start/stops in-between (no?), which would also be taken into consideration.

Return to posts index

Wes Plate
on Jul 31, 2014 at 1:23:07 pm

Thank you, Robin, setting the camera name worked great.

I didn't try audio syncing but I expected it not to work since the audio from the gopros is not good.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 31, 2014 at 2:22:57 pm

Happy it worked out!

But I'd personally LOVE to know what would happen if you (as I described before): named camera and angle of the individual clips of each compound, then selected them all, made THAT into a multicam and used audio-synch (no marker). Because if everything works out as I would suspect (and the date/time stamps aren't WAY off), then I think you'd be pretty damn amazed... ;)

Would you mind indulging me? :-D

Or even if you did the same, just without the marker but rather just audio-synch (though the fact that you have various start/stops in there may throw it off). Because I've had camera audio before that I literally thought wasn't even existent at first because it was so quite. And FCP even managed to synch THAT. I was flabbergasted.

This is all of course assuming that each camera in fact recorded more or less at the same time each time.

Oh yeah, just on a side note, you can actually leave the audio-synch on at all times, too, even if you have markers set and chosen as your synch method. Because FCP actually looks down the list of settings and if it sees that you chose markers, it will use those first. BUT... if you have audio-synch enabled also, and it doesn't like the synch via the markers, then it will use the audio to supplement the marker synch. It will otherwise ignore it. Pretty cool if you ask me. ;)

Return to posts index

Wes Plate
on Jul 31, 2014 at 3:06:08 pm

Robin, that worked way better than I expected. Not perfect, so I wouldn't go this route on a real project, but good to know the tech is pretty smart.

Here's a recording for you...

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 31, 2014 at 3:42:56 pm

Wow... thanks Wes! :)

To answer your question... my bad, I forgot to tell you that you can't actually see the field for the camera ANGLE in the BASIC view. Should have pointed that out. You have to use the little "Basic" pop-up at the bottom to switch it to EXTENDED. In that case you see and name the angle. But since you only have two cameras, you probably don't need the angle, because that doesn't actually change, come to think of it :). That would be more for when you used the same camera for different angles.

The reason the very SHORT clips probably didn't sync, is most likely because of just that... they're very short. Too little to reference and compare. FCP will just have slapped them on the the beginning and end by way of the date/time stamps.

I'm rather surprised that it didn't actually create any GAPS! Are they *not* date/time stamped? Because normally it will (when set to automatic) check the stamp, position them roughly by that, then fine-tune with the audio. So if you stopped one cam for e.g. 20 secs, then it SHOULD insert a 20 sec gap clip to represent it. But then you could try setting it to date/time manually and see if that changes anything. I could actually see that (I think) your recordings were much longer overall. I'd bet if you took ONLY the overlapping clips (e.g. your first very short clip and whichever Jessie clip corresponds [timewise] with it, the 25753 clip with the 20005 and 30005 an so on) and synced those individually, then it'd probably work perfectly. Only you'd have multiple MCs that you have to string into the timeline. But you'd still be able to edit them all in the camera window during playback nonetheless. The overall audio is probably too indistinct to sync in bulk, yes.

But I'm glad it worked out for you (in general), and I'm envious of your little aquatic-excursion! :-D Hope to do that myself some day!

Cheers, Robin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]