FORUMS: list search recent posts

Zoom to fit gesture, and AVCHD transcoding issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristian Mong
Zoom to fit gesture, and AVCHD transcoding issue
on Jul 30, 2014 at 6:01:15 pm

Hello,

I recently bought an iMac and FCPX/Compressor, starting to learn FCPX. It's been an interesting learning curve, coming from the world of Microsoft. But it's really interesting, and so far I love FCPX.

I have two questions that I cannot seem to google any answer to:

1) Once in a while, the timeline zooms out to "Zoom to fit" without me pressing any keyboard buttons (I use Norwegian layout if that should matter). I am not able to replicate it, but often it happens after I have been working for 1-2 hours, latest after adding audio compressor to a clip and move the magic mouse a bit to the right. Searching around it seems like there are no zoom mouse gestures included in FCPX. I have reviewed Zoom to fit keyboard shortcuts, but they are default shift+z. Scrolling to the left and right works fine. Any ideas what could cause this behavior?

2) Regarding audio: In native mode, all audio (w/video) is fine. But when FCPX transcodes the video to prores 422, some of the resulting audio contains a lot of "clicking" (I don’ exceed 0dB). The click sounds are present when played the transcoded/rendered files both in Quicktime and VLC, so something obviously happens during transcoding. I ran the mts files through Handbrake, and that solved it, but I'd prefer to import directly to FCPX. The strange thing is that converting some of the “accepted” file formats to prores 422 in Compressor creates files without the clicking, but I mostly shoot in AVCHD/mts, and obviously Compressor doesn’t accept those kinds of files. Any tips?

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Zoom to fit gesture, and AVCHD transcoding issue
on Aug 1, 2014 at 3:49:24 pm

1) Have never heard of this happening. Are you sure it's *zooming*, or is it maybe just *jumping*. That I've seen a lot.

2) Again, never heard of it nor have I had it myself. Which codec are you coming from?

Return to posts index

Kristian Mong
on Aug 1, 2014 at 7:30:19 pm

1) Might be jumping. I'm still trying to figure it out, but probably my left hand unconsciously clicks Shift-Z on a sensitive keyboard.

2) I'm experiencing the issues both on footage shot from an Android phone (H264 avc1) with audio AAC (mp4a) and from the Canon XA10 which shoots H264 with audio AC3. Both 48k Hz. One of the files can be found here:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vgbb1zp06k13mgl/2014-04-04.mts

The audio issues when FCPX has transcoded the file can be observed around 00:40.

I have tested on two Macs, and they both create the same audio issues.

I have tried rewrapping with ClipWrap and Handbrake, and it works, but they seem to reset the timestamp/Content Created of the file, which makes the footage harder to sort in FCPX.

So in the end I downloaded ffmpeg and did some Terminal magic:

for f in *.mts; do moddate=$(stat -f %Sm -t "%Y%m%d%H%M" "$f"); ffmpeg -i "$f" -vcodec copy -acodec pcm_s16le -sn -y "${f%.MTS}.mov"; touch -t $moddate "${f%.MTS}.mov" ; done

which rewraps the mts into mov files with pcm_s16le audio, then copies the timestamp of the original file to the new one. When transcoded in FCPX, no audio issues seem to occur.

Return to posts index

Jan Franzen
on Aug 26, 2014 at 8:30:55 am

Double tap on magic mouse is zoom to fit. Thats probably what you accidentally have done.

Mac Pro 2x2.66 Quad Core Intel Xeon 12Gb/1066 DDR3 Caldigit VR external Raid 1 Speed about 80Mb/sec FCPX latest

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 26, 2014 at 10:03:47 am

[Jan Franzen] "Double tap on magic mouse is zoom to fit."

Certainly not by default. Not in FCP X. I suspect you have some sort of MM-utility installed?

Return to posts index

Jan Franzen
on Aug 26, 2014 at 10:22:13 am

No I don't know what mm utility is, I have done nothing but, I always had problem get the magic mouse work properly so I bought an USB Bluetooth dongle, connected it to the keyboard disconnected the internal bluetoothcard in my 2009 my mac pro and tested it actually today. I was not aware of this funktion earlier.I have Mavericks and running 10.1.3 . With tapping I mean just slightly double tapping on top not pressing a double click.

Mac Pro 2x2.66 Quad Core Intel Xeon 12Gb/1066 DDR3 Caldigit VR external Raid 1 Speed about 80Mb/sec FCPX latest

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Aug 26, 2014 at 10:36:23 am

[Jan Franzen] "No I don't know what mm utility is"

Sorry, that was short for Magic Mouse. And a utility such as "Magic Prefs".

[Jan Franzen] "I have Mavericks and running 10.1.3 . With tapping I mean just slightly double tapping on top not pressing a double click."

Yes, that's what I understood. Only it does not do that here, nor have I ever seen it do that.

EDIT: okaaaaay... NOW I know what you're talking about! Sorry, my bad. First off I thought we were talking about the VIEWER not the timeline (no idea why) and secondly I didn't have the "Smart Zoom" option activated in the Mouse system settings! After activating it... yes, you're right! I'm amazed I hadn't seen or heard of that yet. Good point! And yes, now that I know of it, that's certainly something Kristian will want to check. Cheers!

Return to posts index

Kristian Mong
on Aug 26, 2014 at 2:12:22 pm

Yes, I had smart zoom enabled. The zoom to fit was driving me crazy, many thanks for the solution!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]