FORUMS: list search recent posts

Disadvantages of not using a shared media server in busy multi-editor environment

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Dunphy
Disadvantages of not using a shared media server in busy multi-editor environment
on Jul 30, 2014 at 12:45:22 pm

Hi Guys

Am thinking that a shared media server might be beneficial in my workplace, where there are 2 editors--me and one other person. He sits at the other side of the office on his own iMac (hasn't started using FCPX yet). I have my own iMac which I use to edit on with FCPX and produce all the videos.

What would you say are the disadvantages of not* using a shared media server in busy multi-editor environment (regular short videos for a local council with two editors) using the latest Final Cut Pro X and Motion (and a single licence for Sorenson Squeeze?

So far I'm thinking:

Having to copy libraries between iMacs on portable hard drives may be laborious/inefficient

For the other editor to freely edit, he deserves fast access to the library of content whenever he likes, as opposed to constantly having to ask me to provide him with a library, or exporting certain shots/interviews for him, then transferring via portable hard drive.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Am thinking of something like http://www.studionetworksolutions.com/evo/?gclid=CNPIsemF7b8CFXDKtAodMloAew

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: Disadvantages of not using a shared media server in busy multi-editor environment
on Jul 30, 2014 at 3:01:34 pm

What's your workflow like? Are you passing projects back-and-forth between editors?

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Disadvantages of not using a shared media server in busy multi-editor environment
on Jul 30, 2014 at 6:23:43 pm

Time and money- simple as that. If you can afford good shared storage between more than one editor it will only increase workflow efficiency and productivity. If there's a disadvantage per se it'd be the increase in costs of gear and potentially IT support. But I'd guess your increase in output vs. billable hours would greatly offset those costs in most scenarios.

Noah

FCPWORKS
Call Box Training.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]