FORUMS: list search recent posts

Never Ending "Waiting" Export Stills FCPX

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kade Jacobs
Never Ending "Waiting" Export Stills FCPX
on Jul 30, 2014 at 12:01:47 am
Last Edited By Kade Jacobs on Jul 30, 2014 at 2:00:47 am

I use Final Cut Pro X version 10.1.2 and when I try to export a still frame(jpeg or any format) I get a never ending waiting in the share window. This used to happen with about every 5-10 images and then I would restart FCPX and it would be back to normal. Now it does it from the start and cannot export a single still for my work projects.

I have tried trashing Preferences, restarting computer, shut down computer, and resetting queue in Compressor settings, reinstalling fcpx and compressor even though I don't use compressor app for this process.

*Update* Created new Apple UserID and started FCPX under new login name. Made new project and imported video and found it was able to share the image. Logged out from new account back to old and still hangs on "waiting" when sharing Still image. I can export movies just fine but still images hangs forever. So something in that user account is causing it to hang. I repaired permissions and disk and still no luck.

Any help or ideas on how to get back to processing stills in my main Admin account is greatly appreciated! Thank you

Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2 r, OS X Mavericks 10.9.4

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
Re: Never Ending "Waiting" Export Stills FCPX
on Jul 30, 2014 at 6:10:47 am

Are there any other signs of problems with this account?

User accounts can get corrupted.

I was going to suggest making a new admin account and transfer over what you need.

But if this is the main admin account, you might be better off with a clean install of the OS.

Even any user account getting corrupted kinda points to a clean install being a good idea.

Back up all your important stuff. And make a clone of the current system drive (though this will reproduce any corruption as well). Boot from an external drive with the clone and do a clean install.

If you really want to avoid this, you might try disc warrior.

Another thing you might try first, though it's a long shot: Highlight the drive you are exporting the stills to. Command-I and look at the permissions at the bottom of the get info window. Does your account have read and write permission? If not, unlock the lock icon and give yourself read write permission. Make sure to "apply to enclosed items". (found in the little gear icon). Then check the folder you are sending the stills to. Repeat steps.

I

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Kade Jacobs
on Jul 30, 2014 at 9:43:12 pm

Thanks for your response and trying to get me all working properly again :) As far as I know this is the only issue I am having on this account at this time. I was afraid I would have to do a clean install to fix this and hoping to leave that for a last result since it is so time consuming getting everything transferred then installed again. If needed though I will go that route but hopefully there is some cache or folder I can delete to reset what is getting stuck and causing the "Waiting" issue.

I was thinking about just using the other account in the meantime to take screengrabs since I really only need to do it a few hours every week. When I try to open up the fcpx projects from the main admin account into my newly made secondary account FCPX says "permission is denied and we cannot save your progress" then forced me to quit. I had gone to the "movies" folder of the 1st admin account and made that folder "read/write" access for all so am not sure where the permission is getting hung up on for me to not be able to use that folder?

As for saving it into folders I have actually tried multiple locations on different drives that do have "read/write" access so the permission is there to save them on my main account.

Any other suggestions besides trying disc warrior? Will put that though on my things to try list today and see if that clears anything up.

Thanks for the advice!

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 30, 2014 at 10:39:08 pm

Permission issues can be tricky.

Start with the most parent drive/folder and work your way in at each step applying to all the enclosed. Also repair permissions in disc utility.

Do all this with FC and all apps closed.

Then reboot and see if it will work.

Doing a clean install is a pain but a lot easier than it used to be.

Re-downloading your apps from the app store is pretty painless and gives you the latest of each.

If most things are stored in your documents folder you just drag them all over wholesale. Not the folder itself but the contents. For email save an archive first. Take a screen shot of your mail accounts so you know how to connect to your server again.

Since you should have a clone of your drive you can always take a look at it and reset stuff. When you deal with pro apps its always a good idea to have a clean system and know the steps to start fresh. Its worth the learning curve. Stay backed up/stay organized. I'm a hypocrite and give my self this speech a lot.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Kade Jacobs
on Jul 31, 2014 at 6:34:23 am

After a bit more research I have actually found a solution!! Not sure what app nap is but I went and checked the "prevent app nap" box when I clicked "get info" on fcpx application.

I am now exporting images without any problems! Thanks again for your advice Craig =D

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 31, 2014 at 8:01:50 pm

cool. it's also been a long standing suggestion with pro apps to go to system preferences energy saver and uncheck put drives to sleep when possible.

It does have a down side obviously.

The app nap is similar. In that you are not using system resources when an app is not active. Anyway. Another thing to look for if we run into that kind of problem. When I get to the studio I'll make sure that is turned off on all the FCP stations since we do export stuff and some of these take a long time.

Thanks for reporting back.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]