FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2 Backup Location

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Samuels
Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2 Backup Location
on Jul 29, 2014 at 10:10:53 am

Hi all,

I am trying to implement a system which will allow collaboration between colleagues on different FCPX projects. Because we are currently using managed media, the easiest solution I have come accross is to use the backup file in lieu of a "project" file. The backup file is very small and contains all the information necessary to open the project as long as both editors have all the project media.

My problem is as follows: I'd like to store the backups on a dropbox/cloud storage so that transferring them doesn't involve a physical transfer. How do i change the backup location? I can't see any option in preferences.

Secondly: is there an option to change the backup interval from the default of 15 minutes? If we needed a quick tranfer between editors waiting 15 minutes for the latest backup file is less than ideal.

I know this method is a bit of a "hack" and that perhaps the easiest solution is simply to use unmanaged libraries.

However, I would at least like to know how to change the backup location, for security purposes.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2 Backup Location
on Jul 30, 2014 at 2:16:31 am

Highlight the library in the browser and you'll. see a new media locations panel in the inspector. It's in there along with cache, proxys, optimized, etc.

Return to posts index

Joel Samuels
on Jul 30, 2014 at 9:45:21 am

Thanks Bret,

I was aware that this was a possible, but is there not a way globally change the default backup location rather than have to go through and set this on a per library basis?

Return to posts index

Joel Samuels
on Jul 30, 2014 at 9:48:05 am

I should add that while this option was available under general preferences in 10.1, it seemes to ave disappeared in 10.1.2 - see: http://www.philiphodgetts.com/2013/12/final-cut-pro-x-10-1/

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 31, 2014 at 5:15:35 am

Every time you create a new library you can choose locations for the different file types. But yeah they removed the ability to set your own default location. Even when you want to consolidate to an external location you need to choose that location first in the media location window - a two step process. So although you have a great deal of power now to organize locations within FC, they seem to encourage the library as the default.

However there is logic to this. Do you really want every project's media stored in the same location? That would create one really big media folder or populate a disorganized drive. Also keep in mind

"Once you pick a location to store Library Backups, don’t move the files manually. Library backups store relative path names to all media and cache files. Moving a backup manually can break those links." Larry Jordan 7-19-14.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]