FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capturing DV

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Smith
Capturing DV
on Jul 28, 2014 at 2:57:35 am

Gosh I thought I was done with this years ago , but I need to go back and capture some material from DV tape. I'm on 10.1.2 and latest system software. I have 3 different DV decks: DSR 20, JVC DV deck and a panasonic AG dv 2500.
Fcpx AT BEST recognizes the JVC or sony deck intermittently and so far does not recognize the panasonic deck. I have tried firewire 800 port with an 800 to 400 cable and I have tried a thunderbolt to firewire adapter and the 800 to 400 cable. Oh yeah I have a 4th dv source - a DVX 100 which is recognized by final but but doesn't play back very well.

I've tried restarting FCPX, restarting the computer and it seems really hit or miss but mostly miss in terns of FCPX recognizing any of these sources.

Are there any tips trix or secrets I am missing ? Seems like FCPX is just supposed to recognize these devices but for some reason just doesn't .

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Capturing DV
on Jul 28, 2014 at 7:49:25 am

Are they listed here?

http://help.apple.com/finalcutpro/cameras/en/index.html?

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 28, 2014 at 1:27:03 pm

One device I hav shows up in the list. The panasonic 2500 DV deck connects with iMovie but not with FCPX which is weird. The signal over DV is pretty iffy with lots of dropped frames , yet monitoring the playback over video shows a solid picture. Gosh it really seems like FCPX cut the cord with tape based capture and for the most part left it behind.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 28, 2014 at 1:40:43 pm

[Mark Smith] "The panasonic 2500 DV deck connects with iMovie"

iMovie 10? If so, then simply use it to capture and "Send" to FCP.

Why the discrepancy, I don't know.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:03:01 pm

The panasonic deck shows up in iMovie 10, but there isn't any video stream showing up over the firewire connection which is strange. I can even sort of control the deck from iMovie telling the deck to play or stop, but the capture screen remains black. If I try to import I get a warning saying that there is no data in the stream... yet the app recognizes the deck.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 29, 2014 at 11:05:44 am

And you're sure it's DV not HDV? Being able to connect but not getting a picture sounds a lot like it.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 29, 2014 at 11:30:14 am

Oh Yeah its DV alright. I shot it 10 years ago with a DVX 100. My next step is to try capturing on a different computer just for the heck of it.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 29, 2014 at 12:39:39 pm

So there must be some f'ed up driver or something on my mac mini because I tried out one of the problematic DV decks on my iMac edit system and it worked like buttah.

Now I just have to find the problem child bit of code on the mac mini.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 29, 2014 at 12:43:56 pm

Well, a Mini is pretty much the lowest possible minimum for FCP & Co., by virtue of its (non-existent) GPU alone. So maybe that's why. It could also be user/account related. In which case I would try setting up a brand new user and trying with that on the same machine. Unfortunately something I, too, am dealing with at the moment, only in a different area. Something that's messed up with one user is completely fine with another.

Either way I would suggest sending feedback.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 29, 2014 at 1:55:47 pm

Actually my mini has been a FCPX workhorse of sorts . I won't do super complex edits on that machine - mostly cuts dissolves with some titles thrown in and it works just fine. I've got a fusion drive inside and 16gb of ram and so for the simpler edits it all works.
I was thinking of wiping uninstalling and reinstalling fcpx to see if that would help but creating a new user account would be a quicker first step.

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 29, 2014 at 3:05:24 pm

I tried running FCPX from a different user account and it failed to connect to the dv that my iMac can control in X .

I repaired permisions on my Mac mini boot drive and that made no change to the situation: still can't connect to the dv deck.

I'm thinking the next step is to uninstall FCPX and reinstall a fresh copy. Are there any tips to make that happen the right way if there is such a thing?

Return to posts index

Mark Smith
on Jul 30, 2014 at 6:34:54 pm

So, step by step

I trashed FCPX prefs,

I uninstalled FCS

I Uninstalled then re installed FCPX

my mac mini still doesn't recognize my panasonic DV deck, but my iMac recognizes the deck immediately and captures video .

Is there something about the mini that would negate capturing DV ? I can't imagine why this would be so but so far nothing I have done has fixed the problem of recognizing the DV source.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]