FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rounding the edges of a clip in Final Cut Pro X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Taylor
Rounding the edges of a clip in Final Cut Pro X
on Jul 26, 2014 at 5:04:41 pm

I've used the distort tool before to fit a clip over a tv screen as if to look like the clip is on tv, but can't figure out how to round the edges to fit a rounded vintage tv screen instead of a perfect rectangle. Can anyone help?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Rounding the edges of a clip in Final Cut Pro X
on Jul 26, 2014 at 10:29:36 pm

There's an effect called mask. You can control the roundness. You can add a little feather too. Use that to get the rounded square, then distort it into the TV.

Return to posts index

Kerry Brown
on Jul 27, 2014 at 4:49:45 am

Go to effects- distortion- crop and feather

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 27, 2014 at 2:44:52 pm

Good call! I didn't realize crop and feather had roundness control. Makes it almost exactly the same effect as "mask" except mask gives you 4 discreet corners that don't have to be perpendicular.

Why they don't just add roundness and feather to the crop controls in the inspector is kinda bizarre.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 27, 2014 at 9:33:45 pm

generally, lots of overlap between stuff that can be done directly in the timeline/inspector/viewer vs adding an effect from the effect's browser. I assume there is a technical difference on how these are being applied.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Steve Taylor
Re: ounding the edges of a clip in Final Cut Pro X
on Jul 27, 2014 at 11:36:06 pm

All great suggestions, but I'm still a little restricted with the shape and rounding controls. Is there a way to provide even more freedom with shaping the clip? More free form? Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: ounding the edges of a clip in Final Cut Pro X
on Jul 27, 2014 at 11:51:26 pm

Ah, round the edges, not the corners. You can create a custom matte in just about any drawing app. PS, Illustrator, iDraw, etc. Or you could buy a plugin like sliceX from CoreMelt and draw mattes right in X and track them to the TV if need be.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]