FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't export master file, what to do?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Suszko
Can't export master file, what to do?
on Jul 25, 2014 at 8:55:42 pm

This is what happens when I don't follow Shane's advice to the letter. Under time pressure I broke ingest discipline and instead of first copying the P2 cards to folders in the raid drive, I let FCPX import directly off the cards and started working with the proxy files as FCPX was copying -in native files in the background.

Got my edit the way I want it, go to share, to make a master file in h.264. Every option is grayed out. The erase tabs were set on the P2 cards, so they have not been overwritten, but FCPX refuses to let me do any kind of export or Burn to DVD.

I've been playing "guess-and-press", with the relinking feature, while re-importing the cards into the RAID, hoping (though not sure of the procedure) FCPX will somehow replace the footage fame for frame.

Meanwhile, the timeline plays back just peachy, but I can't get the video out of the machine. I have a blackmagic ultrastudio 4k, and media express, but have had zero luck playing out of that today.

Plus its raining now.

grrr

Anybody, got suggestions?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Can't export master file, what to do?
on Jul 25, 2014 at 9:43:50 pm

Mark, I might be able to screen share with you right now and help you figure this out. I think it could be a really simple fix. How can we get in touch?

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 25, 2014 at 10:43:16 pm

Thanks for the offer, but I solved it about 20 minutes ago... re-did the importation of the original footage a second time, this time FCPX became happy and unlocked the ability to export.

But I know I'm not managing my libraries right. I get occasional warning that I'm sharing betweeen libraries or words to that effect - but it lets me continue if I say OK, and so far, have not had issues. But I'm sure I'm creating too many new libraries, when I probably should have a few libraries and many individual projects. Concur?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 25, 2014 at 10:52:34 pm

Yeah, I was wondering if maybe you should just turn off proxies and it would switch to the high res files. In terms of libraries, you might be happier moving all our media to outside locations. We're generally working with one library per project now, which makes for easier workflows.

I was also surprised you were working in FCPX. Times really are a changing!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 25, 2014 at 11:38:12 pm

Well, I'm working simultaneously in 7 and x on two machines side by side right now. I also have a copy of premiere to get around to learning eventually, because at some point the shop guys will all vote on what platform we standardize on, but the times around my office are particularly turbulent right now, with numerous training videos to edit, daily news shoots to go out on, cut down for uplink, and turn around for Youtube, and the state fair coming up (we do daily coverage out of there) just too much going on to take on Learning Premiere just yet, plus I have to save up money for a good tutorial course on it. I'm finding myself partial to
Larry Jordan's training series for this stuff. The last one I sat in on via creative live over a three day period, worked so well, as soon as the credits rolled on it, I just walked over to the FCPX station and banged out a nice short documentary package in a scary-short time. Granted, I have not yet pushed multicam or higher level effects work on it yet, but I'll get there. I did not like FCPX when it first came out: it was under-cooked. Now, it's more polished and nearly complete. With Black magic media Express I have tape and live video i/o back, now in HD, which we needed. If a third party could add DVD and BD menu burning functionality, I'd be even happier.

So yes, I'm getting past my initial disappointments and am finding lots to like in X since the latest upgrades.

If you stop learning, you start dying. Read that last part in Morgan Freeman's voice:-)

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 25, 2014 at 11:41:10 pm

Well that's good to hear. I've found the biggest issues in adopting it were psychological. If you just jump in things tend to work out. It's frustrating at first - like painting with your left hand (or right if you're a southpaw), but once you get used to it, it ruins everything else.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:38:50 am

I dunno that I'd go THAT far. Discreet Logic Edit*6 ruined me for a lot of NLE's. FCP included.:-)

A feature in Edit*6 I liked and used a lot was that I could re-name a clip right in the timeline with just a right click, and the system would still remember where the footage came from and where it was. My fave thing for that was to type the first three-five words of dialog into a timeline clip.

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 26, 2014 at 9:16:50 am

I personally use FCP's archive feature for any and all cards that come in. That way I not only have an immediate backup of the original files, but also have the option to simply use the "Reimport from camera/card" command if needed (such as in a case like this). I highly recommend it.

[Mark Suszko] "I could re-name a clip right in the timeline with just a right click, and the system would still remember where the footage came from and where it was."

Erm... you can do that in X also. :) You could even rename the original Clip in the Finder if you wanted and FCP wouldn't lose the connection. Not too sure if other NLEs can/will do that. I know 7 can't/won't.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]