FORUMS: list search recent posts

New Pegasus2 R4: MacPro starts up but screens are black

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Culbertson
New Pegasus2 R4: MacPro starts up but screens are black
on Jul 24, 2014 at 2:05:57 am

I'm double posting here as I am a bit stressed about this due to starting a big project tomorrow.

I just installed a new Pegasus2 R4 (I have another R4 I have been using for 6 months or so with no issues). The MacPro appears to start up normally. Both R4s have started up normally with blue lights. The new R4 is going through its initialization process. But both my monitors are black.

Anyone have any suggestions?

OSX 10.9.2 on a New MacProCylinder. R4s are daisy chained with newer R4 closest to MacPro.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
Re: New Pegasus2 R4: MacPro starts up but screens are black
on Jul 24, 2014 at 2:11:53 am

[James Culbertson] " New MacProCylinder. R4s are daisy chained with newer R4 closest to MacPro."

Not a lot of info here,

Why are the J4's daisy chained? with 6 Thunderbolt ports run each unit into it's own port.

How are the monitors connected?

Are you sure the cables work?

gary adcock
Studio37

Post and Production Workflow Consultant
Production and Post Stereographer
Chicago, IL

Follow my blog at http://www.garyadcock.com

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jul 24, 2014 at 2:35:05 am

Thanks Gary. Plugging both into the back of the MacPro solved the issue; both cables work. I did have one Thunderbolt port open (two older ACDs, Matrox adaptor, Tb USB/FW hub, and existing Pegasus2 R4).

The question is why would daisy chaining the two R4s not work?

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 24, 2014 at 2:41:19 am

[James Culbertson] "The question is why would daisy chaining the two R4s not work?"

don't know, I would try a series of connections between devices, it could be just a startup sequence issue with 2 devices of the same type, did you open up the Promise Raid Utility to check out the devices, did you try to plug them in after booting?

What does the console say?

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 24, 2014 at 10:21:06 am

[James Culbertson] "why would daisy chaining the two R4s not work?"

Because one is TBo 1 and the other TBo 2.

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 24, 2014 at 1:29:41 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "Because one is TBo 1 and the other TBo 2."

Not really Robin, the order should not make a difference in the connections if all are powered, only the bandwidth on devices farther down the chain.

One thing to remember about Thunderbolt devices- each device sends a power signal to the next device in the chain, that alone can be an issue when daisy chaining buss powered devices without external power supplies.

It could be a bad second TBT port on the new unit, how the cable was wrapped and how it was inserted into the connector, no difference than any other device protocols

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 24, 2014 at 1:37:11 pm

[gary adcock] "the order should not make a difference in the connections if all are powered"

It would certainly make a difference if the TBo 1 came before the TBo 2 device in the chain, since the first is obviously incapable of catering to the latter's bus speed. But why the machine goes dark is anyone's guess. That was mine. :)

Return to posts index

gary adcock
on Jul 24, 2014 at 1:44:50 pm

[Robin S. Kurz] "It would certainly make a difference if the TBo 1 came before the TBo 2 device in the chain,"

having a 10GBps then a 20GBps on the same buss only really affects the connection speed between the devices and that alone would not cause the units to keep the CPU from Booting.

I have over 100 TBT devices in my offices and I have worked every variety of connection variable possible and at no time did the device connectivity keep a machine from booting.

I think it is more that the 2 devices were set at the factory to have the same LUN and startup order causing a conflict when the are inline with one another- by switching each to an open port- it allowed the CPU to override / stagger their startup sequence order

gary adcock
Studio37

Chicago, IL

Or follow me on Twitter
@garyadcock

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jul 24, 2014 at 3:10:01 pm

[gary adcock] "I think it is more that the 2 devices were set at the factory to have the same LUN and startup order causing a conflict when the are inline with one another- by switching each to an open port- it allowed the CPU to override / stagger their startup sequence order"

Both devices are TB2.

I'm wondering if the normal Pegasus "initialization" process (usually takes about 8 hours) disturbed the regular startup sequence in some way. Hope to have time to test this early next week.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 27, 2014 at 10:39:30 pm

If u can't resolve the issue contact their technical support. I returned two raids that were corrupting files and got replacements. They shipped replacements even before I could send mine with return printouts they sent. They just took a credit card in case I didn't send back the raids within a month.

Sounds to me like it was still formatting and that's your issue.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]