FORUMS: list search recent posts

Do You MultiCam or Synchronize

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Streeper
Do You MultiCam or Synchronize
on Jul 23, 2014 at 2:16:01 am

Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up a Library for a feature length film. It's a dual system shoot and I was wondering, what are your best practices for syncing audio to video.
In the past I've used the MultiCam function to sync audio to even just one track of video. Should I be using the Synchronize Clips function instead?

TIA,
Brent

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Do You MultiCam or Synchronize
on Jul 23, 2014 at 4:11:07 am

Synchronized clips now keep timecode. If you have one audio and one video source, synchronized works well, but test, test, test!

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
on Jul 23, 2014 at 8:47:42 am

I see no reason nor advantage in using multicam for a single clip.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 23, 2014 at 6:44:18 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jul 23, 2014 at 6:52:24 pm

Bret,

Try this:

Step one: import video and audio into the Project.

Step two: Synchronize the clips. (check them as you go so you're sure the sync is correct, if not, read up on sync by marker or the other options built into X.)

Step three: Go back into the Event and select your original whole "un-synced" source audio and video clips and mark them as REJECTED. (you don't need them any longer since they are superseded by your synchronized clip versions)

Step four: Go to your synced clips and do a rough TRIM on them by range selecting crap like setup and strike scenes, dead spaces between scenes or blown takes - and mark THEM as Rejected as well.

Step five: Invoke "Hide Rejected"

In an instant you'll be left with an event browser winnowed down to useful, pre-trimmed, audio synced clips - with everything else removed as visual clutter.

This is now your "process field takes" array - just the "good stuff" - ready for further tagging and editing.

And, of course, you can bring everything back "at will" by simply removing the "hide rejected" filter.

Have fun.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Aug 3, 2014 at 4:01:05 pm

That's ingenious Bill. this is done only with reference to the synchronizing feature and not multicam?

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jul 23, 2014 at 7:09:17 pm

I set up the movie I'm working on now with synchronized clips (1 mono .wav file tied to one R3D video file). started the project somewhere around 10.6, upgrading along the way to the current version.

I remember Sam Mestman talking about a bug with synchronized clips regarding the fit/fill switch being broken with synchronized clips vs. multicam, which is why he recommended multicam. NOt sure if this is still the case.

Return to posts index

James Ewart
on Jul 24, 2014 at 7:04:57 am
Last Edited By James Ewart on Jul 24, 2014 at 2:51:34 pm

I have found incredible advantages to editing single camera shoots in multi cam mode. To be able to cut between wide, mid close and see them all "in sync" in the angle viewer has been a revelation to me. Although naturally they are not in perfect sync as they would be for a multi cam shoot, to be able to play back and cut between the angles, for me is a brave new world.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]