FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where did the audio waveforms go when expanded on the timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cooke
Where did the audio waveforms go when expanded on the timeline
on Jul 22, 2014 at 1:11:12 pm

During audio v/o and SOT audio editing, I'm wanting to "rubber-band" (set keyframes while seeing the audio waveforms). I detached the audio (on the A/V clips) did the "Expand Audio Components" and "Show Audio Animation". But nothing. Performing this up in the inspector is not only "clunky", but not precise.
(During my first full week, last week, on FCP X, I got these waveforms and it was great!) I scoured all the possible pulldowns on the top FCP task bar, but found nothing.
Thanks for any help.
i7 iMac with 32GRam, FCP 10.1.2, 12TB Promise Thunberbolt 2 drive array.

D's Video

Return to posts index

Robin S. Kurz
Re: Where did the audio waveforms go when expanded on the timeline
on Jul 22, 2014 at 1:33:12 pm

[David Cooke] "I detached the audio"

Why would you do that for what you are doing? There's absolutely no need for detaching.

[David Cooke] "did the "Expand Audio Components" and "Show Audio Animation""

Also no need for either of those, unless of course you have multi-channel audio that you want to level separately. Simply double-click the audio "track" of any given clips to expand the audio or OPTION-click to expand audio components... if even needed. You can set keyframes without any of that by simply OPTION-clicking on the levels bar or "rubber band". If the waveforms aren't showing, then your timeline display may simply be too small. Just choose any of the other 5 options and/or enlarge the overall display size.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 22, 2014 at 5:35:06 pm

Highlight your clip. in clip appearance
select a display option
and clip height.

Slide your timeline so the clip you want is in view.

you can clearly see the waveforms and if you need to expand audio or show animation or use inspector settings like checking which channels are active you can but not needed for basic key framing.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

David Cooke
on Jul 22, 2014 at 9:32:41 pm

Thanks to both of you, Robin, for getting me thinking and checking all my settings, and yes,you Craig for giving me the answer. Literally seconds before I checked your response, I clicked on the "clip appearance", and there they were!

D's Video

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]