FORUMS: list search recent posts

detach audio slip video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
detach audio slip video
on Jul 19, 2014 at 6:09:58 pm

If I detach audio from a clip and then try to slip the video the audio keeps moving because of the connection point. Other than moving the connection point out of the clip its connected to is there anyway to edit the video without the audio being effected?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
Re: detach audio slip video
on Jul 19, 2014 at 6:37:46 pm

Move the video clip out of the primary. Select it, then Command-Opt Up Arrow. This makes it a connected clip and replaces it in the primary with a gap clip. Now you can move, trim, the video clip to your hearts content and the audio clip stays connected to the primary in the same place.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jul 19, 2014 at 7:05:18 pm
Last Edited By Dave Jenkins on Jul 19, 2014 at 7:05:54 pm

You should be able to hold the tilde key and slip the video without affecting the audio.

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 19, 2014 at 7:44:21 pm

both useful. Thank you. Kept thinking it would be some P function.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Don Smith
on Jul 20, 2014 at 10:59:48 am

Dave is talking about the Connection Override command when he says to hold the tilde key while slipping and he is correct but let me give you a little further information to make the process easier.

To be clear, the Connection Override allows you to, say, slip a clip without affecting anything connected to it.

I like that you can press and hold a mode (like 'T' for slipping) and act in that mode and when you release then you automatically go back to the mode you were in before. That's great but what if you want to go into Connections Override AND temporarily slip the clip? It's not easy to hold the Tilde key and the T key and slip the video with your mouse all at the same time.

But, there's a way to get the Connections Override command to 'stick'. I think of it as the Rocking Horse Move (my name) since I had to discover this on my own when I could not find this move online. Press and hold the Tilde key with your left middle finger then press and hold the Command key with your left thumb, then release the Tilde key and then release the Command key. The Connections Override (which, being a Vietnam vet, looks kinda like a 7th Cav patch to me) will 'stick' and leave your fingers free to do other things like slip a clip while not affecting any connected clips.

Just press the Tilde key to get out of Connections Override mode.

NewsVideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 20, 2014 at 5:18:27 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Jul 20, 2014 at 5:19:04 pm

Wow. What made you think to tap the command key to make override stick? Is there any pattern in OS X of command as a secondary modifier?

Great tip for both touch typist pros and slo pokes like me.

this is pretty good: http://finalcutprokeyboardshortcuts.com/final-cut-pro-x-keyboard-shortcuts/

Return to posts index

Mark Harvey
on Aug 30, 2014 at 6:02:38 pm

Thanks Brett, took me forever to find some useful advice on this!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]